Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Edd Grant <ed...@eddgrant.com> on 2013/02/25 10:35:10 UTC

Re: Pull Request 3

Hi Glen,

Apologies for the delay in replying, have only just seen this email, for
some reason gmail was hiding it from me. Thanks to you and Dave for the
explanation of how Roller uses GitHub, I'm happy to submit an svn patch via
JIRA. Given that I know now that GitHub is read only perhaps it would be
best if I remove the empty folder stuff from the patch and simply submit
the maven repo related change?

Cheers,

Edd

--
Web: http://www.eddgrant.com
Email: edd@eddgrant.com

Re: Pull Request 3

Posted by David Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 10, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/10/2013 02:56 PM, Dave wrote:
>>> and I don't want others to fall into the energy-wasting trap that you fell
>>> into (of making pull requests to a read-only GitHub repo instead of using
>>> the JIRA process).
>>
>> I agree. To help prevent that we should update the Roller "how to
>> contribute" page to let people know how the GitHub mirrors are supposed to
>> work, and point them to these pages for details:
>>
>>     http://git.apache.org/
>>     http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html
>
> If you can phrase that properly, great.  The contribution page (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/How+to+contribute+to+Roller) presently doesn't mention GitHub at all so it can't be pushing people into using it.  I suspect however, the moment we advertise GitHub and the fact that it's read only (in order to keep people on SVN when they have patches to submit), people will be clamoring to make GitHub RW just like our SVN is, and then we'll have yet another administrative headache--trying to keep updates between two separate source control systems in sync.  Unfortunately, the more ways we have to do the same thing, the more administrative B.S. we have taking away from development.

I don't think we need to worry about the RW issue because I don't think it's likely that infra will support it, and even if they did, we could opt out.

I would love to see people clamoring for RW access to Roller via any SCM tho, and I wish there was an easy way to accept pull requests from GitHub.

- Dave

Re: Pull Request 3

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pull Request 3

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Edd, sorry, I misunderstood your email, I thought you already had supplied
> a patch, yes, please do so to JIRA:  https://issues.apache.org/**
> jira/browse/ROL <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL>, also include
> the folder changes so Roller is more GitHub friendly.  Thankfully, I'm now
> having more time for Roller.
>
> I regret that we are on GitHub -- this team is too small to maintain both
> SVN and GitHub

Ideally, we should not have to do anything to maintain both SVN and Git
because the ASF Infrastructure team takes care of the mirrors.

> and I don't want others to fall into the energy-wasting trap that you fell
> into (of making pull requests to a read-only GitHub repo instead of using
> the JIRA process).

I agree. To help prevent that we should update the Roller "how to
contribute" page to let people know how the GitHub mirrors are supposed to
work, and point them to these pages for details:

    http://git.apache.org/
    http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html

> But apparently 13 others have already forked Roller on GitHub, so I'm not
> sure we can get rid of it (indeed, it seems virtually every other Apache
> project is on it anyway, we might not have a choice.)

I think that's actually a good thing and I'm one of those forkers, BTW. I
created a fork called Rollarcus to learn more about GitHub and to
experiment with some ideas about the Roller code base. Haven't done much
with a recently.

In my opinion, anything we can do to help people use our code and to
encourage them to contribute back is a good thing so I think the mirrors
are a good idea.

- Dave

Re: Pull Request 3

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Edd, sorry, I misunderstood your email, I thought you already had
supplied a patch, yes, please do so to JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL, also include the folder
changes so Roller is more GitHub friendly.  Thankfully, I'm now having
more time for Roller.

I regret that we are on GitHub -- this team is too small to maintain
both SVN and GitHub, and I don't want others to fall into the
energy-wasting trap that you fell into (of making pull requests to a
read-only GitHub repo instead of using the JIRA process).  But

Re: Pull Request 3

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.