Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Joshi, Shital" <Sh...@gs.com> on 2015/01/28 21:34:10 UTC

IndexFormatTooNewException

Hi,

We upgraded our cluster to Solr 4.10.0 for couple days and again reverted back to 4.8.0. However the dashboard still shows Solr 4.10.0. Do you know why?
*       solr-spec 4.10.0
*       solr-impl 4.10.0 1620776
*       lucene-spec 4.10.0
*       lucene-impl 4.10.0 1620776

We recently added new shards to our cluster and dashboard shows correct Solr version (4.8.0) for these new shards. We copied index from one of old shards (where it is showing 4.10.0 on dashboard) to this new shard and we see this error upon start up. How do we get rid of this error?

Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFormatTooNewException: Format version is not supported (resource: BufferedChecksumIndexInput(MMapIndexInput(path="/local/data/solr13/index.20140919180209018/segments_1tzz"))): 3 (needs to be between 0 and 2)
        at org.apache.lucene.codecs.CodecUtil.checkHeaderNoMagic(CodecUtil.java:156)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:335)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$1.doBody(SegmentInfos.java:416)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:864)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:710)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(SegmentInfos.java:412)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:749)

Re: IndexFormatTooNewException

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/28/2015 2:51 PM, Joshi, Shital wrote:
> Thank you for replying.
>
> We added new shard to same cluster where some shards are showing Solr version 4.10.0 and this new shard is showing Solr version 4.8.0. All shards source Solr software from same location and use same start up script. I am surprised how older shards are still running Solr 4.10.0.
>
> How we do real downgrade index to 4.8? You mean replay all data?

It is often not enough to simply replace the solr war.  You may also
need to wipe out the extracted war before restarting, or jars from the
previous version may still exist and some of them might be loaded
instead of the new version.

If you're using the jetty included in the example, the war is in the
webapps directory and the extracted files are under solr-webapp.  If
you're using another container, then I have no idea where the war gets
extracted.

If any index segments were written by the 4.10 version, they will not be
readable after downgrading to the 4.8 version.  Wiping out the index and
rebuilding it from scratch is usually the only way to fix that situation.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: IndexFormatTooNewException

Posted by "Joshi, Shital" <Sh...@gs.com>.

[...]