Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Jonathan Chayat <jo...@supersonicads.com> on 2014/04/26 19:47:34 UTC

Using Spark in IntelliJ Scala Console

Hi all,

TLDR: running spark locally through IntelliJ IDEA Scala Console results
in java.lang.ClassNotFoundException

Long version:

I'm an algorithms developer in SupersonicAds - an ad network. We are
building a major new big data project and we are now in the process of
selecting our tech stack & tools.

I'm new to Spark, but I'm very excited about it. It is my opinion that
Spark can be a great tool for us, and that we might be able to build most
of our toolchain on top of it.

We currently develop in Scala and we are using IntelliJ IDEA as our IDE (we
love it). One of the features I love about IDEA is the Scala Console which
lets me work interactively with all of my project's code available and all
of the IDE's features & convenience. That is as opposed to the Scala Shell
& Spark Shell which I dislike because it is based on JLine and doesn't
behave like a good shell would (I cant even Ctrl-c to abort a line without
crashing the whole thing). Of course, as an algo guy, having a good REPL is
crucial to me.

To get started, I added the following line to build.sbt:

> "org.apache.spark" %% "spark-core" % "0.9.1"

Then, added the following main class:

import org.apache.spark.SparkContext
> import org.apache.spark.SparkContext._

object Main extends App {
>   val sc = new SparkContext("local", "myApp")
>   val r = sc.parallelize(1 to 1000)
>   println("r.filter(_ % 2 == 1).first() = " + r.filter(_ % 2 == 1).first())
>   println("r.filter(_ % 2 == 1).count() = " + r.filter(_ % 2 == 1).count())
> }

Make, Run, Works perfectly.

Next, I try running the same in the scala console.
Bad news - the last line throws an exception:

> ERROR executor.Executor: Exception in task ID 0
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: $line5.$read$$iw$$iw$$iw$$iw$$anonfun$2

It is my guess that for some reason Spark is not able to find the anonymous
function (_ % 2 == 1). Please note I'm running locally so I did not provide
any jars. For some reason when using first() instead of count() it works.
Needless to say it also works in Spark Shell but as I stated, working with
it is not an option.

This issue brings much sadness to my heart, and I could not find a solution
on the mailing list archives or elsewhere. I am hoping someone here might
offer some help.

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: Using Spark in IntelliJ Scala Console

Posted by Jonathan Chayat <jo...@supersonicads.com>.
In IntelliJ, nothing changed. In SBT console I got this error:

$sbt

> console

[info] Running org.apache.spark.repl.Main -usejavacp

14/04/27 08:29:44 INFO spark.HttpServer: Starting HTTP Server

14/04/27 08:29:44 INFO server.Server: jetty-7.6.8.v20121106

14/04/27 08:29:44 INFO server.AbstractConnector: Started
SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:50966

Failed to initialize compiler: object scala.annotation.Annotation in
compiler mirror not found.

** Note that as of 2.8 scala does not assume use of the java classpath.

** For the old behavior pass -usejavacp to scala, or if using a Settings

** object programatically, settings.usejavacp.value = true.

14/04/27 08:29:44 WARN repl.SparkILoop$SparkILoopInterpreter: Warning:
compiler accessed before init set up.  Assuming no postInit code.

Failed to initialize compiler: object scala.annotation.Annotation in
compiler mirror not found.

** Note that as of 2.8 scala does not assume use of the java classpath.

** For the old behavior pass -usejavacp to scala, or if using a Settings

** object programatically, settings.usejavacp.value = true.

[error] (run-main-0) java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed: null

java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed: null

at scala.Predef$.assert(Predef.scala:179)

at
org.apache.spark.repl.SparkIMain.initializeSynchronous(SparkIMain.scala:197)

at
org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop$$anonfun$process$1.apply$mcZ$sp(SparkILoop.scala:924)

at
org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop$$anonfun$process$1.apply(SparkILoop.scala:881)

at
org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop$$anonfun$process$1.apply(SparkILoop.scala:881)

at
scala.tools.nsc.util.ScalaClassLoader$.savingContextLoader(ScalaClassLoader.scala:135)

at org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop.process(SparkILoop.scala:881)

at org.apache.spark.repl.SparkILoop.process(SparkILoop.scala:973)

at org.apache.spark.repl.Main$.main(Main.scala:31)

at org.apache.spark.repl.Main.main(Main.scala)

at

at

[trace] Stack trace suppressed: run last compile:runMain for the full
output.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Nonzero exit code: 1

at scala.sys.package$.error(package.scala:27)

[trace] Stack trace suppressed: run last compile:runMain for the full
output.

[error] (compile:runMain) Nonzero exit code: 1

[error] Total time: 1 s, completed Apr 27, 2014 8:29:44 AM

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.
You'll also need:

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Chayat <jo...@supersonicads.com>.