Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Bear Giles <bg...@snaplogic.com> on 2018/01/03 13:37:50 UTC

Cross-security model access to HDFS?

Hi, I'm looking for information/confirmation about cross-security model
access to HDFS clusters.

The situation is that we run our own cluster and the edge nodes all use the
appropriate configuration files. So far so good.

However we offer a hosted service and some of our customers may/will want
to access external HDFS clusters, e.g., to pull in data for processing
within our environment and/or push out the results. It's possible that the
external clusters will have a different security model. That is - we use
Kerberos authentication internally but the external cluster does not, or
vice versa.

This could happen if the external site contains read-only public domain
information. An example that comes to mind is the FAA flight information
that we used in the Coursera cloud computing class - it's public domain
information so it won't require Kerberos authentication to access but a
company using the data internally may wish to use Kerberos authentication
on its own cluster.

I know that the FileSystem.get() method has an optional Hadoop
Configuration parameter. I assume it's to pass things like the location of
SSL keystores/truststores, etc. I don't know whether or not it also honors
the AUTHZ/AUTHN properties.

On the flip side I don't see any way to specify a different Configuration
to UserGroupInformation on an instance level. I can set the global
Configuration to turn on Kerberos authentication, but can't pass into a
method so I can get a Kerberos-authenticated UGI on an otherwise
non-authenticated system. Or vice versa.

(It also seems that there's an internal latch so once you've turned on
Kerberos authentication you can't turn it off - that flag will not be
updated. I'm not 100% certain though since it might be an artifact of
having a 'current user' that uses Kerberos authentication.)

This brings us to two questions to complete due diligence:

1. Is it possible to get a SIMPLE UGI instance when UserGroupInformation is
configured to support Kerberos authentication? Or vice versa?

2. Is Kerberos authentication ignored if I call a HDFS cluster configured
for SIMPLE authentication / authorization false? Or does that fail?

(I've think it's the latter but I can't rule out that we're doing something
odd and preventing it from working.)

Thanks.

--

Bear Giles

Sr. Java Application Engineer
bgiles@snaplogic.com
Mobile: 720-749-7876

<http://www.snaplogic.com/about-us/jobs>

*SnapLogic Inc | 929 Pearl St #200 | 80303 CO 80302 | USA*

*SnapLogic Inc | 2 W 5th Avenue 4th Floor | San Mateo CA 94402 | USA   *

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise
protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have
received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it
from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to
anyone. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on
the Internet.