Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Alexander Klenner <al...@scai.fraunhofer.de> on 2011/09/27 16:36:15 UTC

legal question concerning the uima logo

Hi UIMA community,

I wonder if we can use the small UIMA logo, which can be found here:

http://uima.apache.org/images/UIMA_4sq50tightCropSolid.png

as a logo for our generic UIMA 'GridBean' inside of the UNICORE Rich Client (URC, http://www.unicore.eu/) software. The URC is developed under the BSD license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses). I don't know where else to ask, if this is the wrong place maybe you can point me to the correct place to ask?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Dipl. Bioinformatiker Alexander G. Klenner
Fraunhofer-Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing (SCAI)

Fwd: Re: legal question concerning the uima logo

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Dear trademarks,

Per the page http://apache.org/foundation/marks/ where it says:

    All other uses of Apache Foo (and similar) graphic logos must be approved in
    writing by VP, Apache Brand Management or a designee.

I'm asking for that approval in writing in this case.  It seems to me to be a
perfectly reasonable use of the UIMA logo.

Please reply cc: to uima-private list as I cannot read the trademarks list
because that list is currently an ASF Member-privately archived list (and I am
not an ASF member).

-Marshall Schor, VP, Apache UIMA

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Alexander,

You can drop the TM's on this use of the logo; it's already related to the
primary UIMA logo as featured on the website, which does have a TM,

Cheers!  -Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
hit send one line too soon ---

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.