Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dh...@bigfoot.com on 2001/10/08 17:47:34 UTC

Apache + Tomcat HOWTO suggestions (was RE: mod_webapp)

Oh, my goodness.  I'm so glad ( i know that sounds odd) to see
these posts!!

I'm a newbie, andI've been trying to figure out how to connect
Apache and Tomcat for like a week now.  I don't have a lot of free
time to spend on it, but I've been looking/running searches at the
Apache site, and digging through the Tomcat site.

I see many repeated references, mostly in this forum, to

--  ajp13
--  mod_jk
--  mod_webapp
--  "warp" ??

But nothing explaining what they are or how to install them.  I'm
assuming all three somehow relate to Apache <-->Tomcat
communication, but I'm completely lost, and not afraid to admit it.
What are the benefits of using one over another?  Are they
standalone, or do some of them need to be used together?  I'm also
not clear on whether there are differences in how to configure the
communication from one version of Tomcat to another...I'm using
Tomcat 4.0 and Apache 1.3.19...

I want to thank the folks that have been pressing on the list for some
documentation of these components...for hte last week, before i got
on this list, I thought I was just missing something, but now I see that
the documentation just isn't there.

Can someone (not necessarily a developer) please please take a
minute and write a step-by-step basic install of Apache<-->Tomcat
communication?  I don't even know if I have to recompile Apache, or
if just dropping a module into place + editing a config file will do the
job.

Also, since ( for whatever reason ) the developers aren't having time
to complete this documentation themselves, perhaps if the folks on
this list are able to provide this step-by-step HOWTO, then it could
somehow be added into the official documentation on the site.  That
would settle the matter, and provide the info in a place (the official
site) where I'm sure many more people are looking as well...

I'm just trying to throw out some suggestions, since this seems to be
a topic that's generating a lot of interest on the list...

Apologies if I've offended anyone, or repeated suggestions, etc.  I
was just getting **SO** frustrated trying to work this out on my own,
and now I see I'm not alone....

It helps...  : )

--Aaron