Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by ra...@bellglobal.com on 1997/09/02 20:49:50 UTC

Timeframe for 1.3?

Trying to decide on whether or not to add support for Apache 1.2 in PHP 3.0.
When is the expected release of Apache 1.3?  The new layout and
auto-configuring module support in 1.3 makes it a much more attractive target,
and if I can avoid building in Apache 1.2 support, it would make my life
easier.

-Rasmus

Re: Timeframe for 1.3?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Oh yeah, related to this ... multidirectory projects I've worked on
frequently have an include directory where all the .hs live ... so that
only a single -I is necessary rather than having to -I all the different
directories.

Dean

Re: Timeframe for 1.3?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997 rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> > More seriously, if you are planning on PHP 3.0 being out in the next few
> > months you would be well advised to have 1.2 support, even if it isn't
> > pretty.  Or you could include a patch to make the 1.2 Configure do the 1.3
> > stuff with it.
>
> Perhaps we could sneak the 1.3-style Configure code into 1.2.5 if for some
> reason a 1.2.5 becomes necessary?

Mmm.  I'm not sure we want to go that way.

> The other problem I have is that the httpd.h file is in different places
> between the two versions.  In order to figure out which version I am dealing
> with I need to check the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER in httpd.h.

find $apache_dir -name "httpd.h" | head -1

or

[ -f $apache_dir/src/httpd.h ] && foo
[ -f $apache_dir/src/main/httpd.h ] && bar

...if they have more than one in their source tree, they are messed up so
that is their problem.

> Right now for PHP 3.0 I have to tell the user to go to his Apache directory
> and look around for httpd.h somewhere under there.  And once found, to
> start the PHP configure script with something like:
>
>   ./configure --with-apache=/usr/local/src/apachen/src/main
>
> I suppose I could write something which did the hunting for them and just
> have them enter the top-level Apache dir.
>
> -Rasmus

Re: Timeframe for 1.3?

Posted by ra...@bellglobal.com.

Re: Timeframe for 1.3?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Surely you jest!  If we say N it'll be out N + 6 months later.  Maybe. ;)

In that case, I nominate March 97 as the release date for 1.3.

Re: Timeframe for 1.3?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.