Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/10 15:37:45 UTC

[Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Hi All,

The ASF is in the process of organizing how Apache projects will
approach the Google Summer of Code 2012
(http://community.apache.org/comdevboardreports.html), as such this is
probably the time for us as a community to start thinking about if and
where in Karaf. or its sub-projects, we could find appropriate
project(s) to submit to GSoC. In addition to project ideas we'll also
need volunteer mentors to associate to the particular project
submission(s).

GSoC 2012:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:29:08 AM Jamie G. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Open source projects and organisations have until Friday, 9 March at
> 23:00 GMT to apply to mentor students as part of this year's Google
> Summer of Code (GSoC) event. Projects interested in applying can
> register (sign in required) for the eighth annual event now;
> application requirements can be found on the FAQ page and a Mentor
> Manual is provided.

In the past, none of this needed to be done by anyone here.   Apache has
always applied as an organization and all the Apache projects fell under that.
There will likely be discussions starting soon on code-awards@apache.org about
it.   (actually,  a *bit* surprised there hasn't been more action there.)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
As said, I'm still volunteer to be mentor.

EIK is really an interesting topic.

I will take a look on the registration page later today or tomorrow.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by wmmalith63 <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Sir,
     I'm undergraduate in IT Faculty ,University of Moratuwa .i'm new to
Google summer of code .So can u help me to  get a basic idea about this
project but i need more !

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
I have an idea, use Pig from within the console and web-console to search the
static log files.

Currently the log: commands work against a in-memory store of logging events
and not against the actual log files.  This works very nicely and quickly,
except if Karaf is shut down for any reason. In operational scenarios where
Karaf is halted, it becomes difficult to use the console or the webconsole
to perform root-causes analysis with the static log files.  Pig is a utility
from the Hadoop community that is used to pull data from local files and
also from MapReduce. It has some very nice filtering and sorting
capabilities that would allow it to be fairly simple to analyze static log
files from either the karaf console or the webconsole.

-----
Mike Van  (All links open in new tabs)
Committer - Kalumet

Atraxia Technologies

Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the GSOC and Andreas idea.

I have said in the past, that we have a lot of sub projects for our size.
Maybe we need to come with more ideas about sub projects.

Any idea how are we going to draw the students attention?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/> Committer
*

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
It's already here: http://www.jolokia.org/

Best regards,
Lukasz Dywicki
--
Code-House
http://code-house.org

Wiadomość napisana przez Dan Tran w dniu 10 lut 2012, o godz. 16:29:

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Andreas concept.

@Ioannis i think the easiest way will be to create a page on Karaf's
website for any GSoC projects that we have accepted, then tweet, blog,
g+, linkedIn, etc the web site link as much as possible. On a grass
roots scale, if we mention these GSoCs at our local user groups then
we should have enough exposure to catch a student or two that we'll
require -- I'll be talking to my CS students during my lectures about
it for sure.  :)

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Rest equivalent of JMX?

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
>From discussion on IRC:

How do we feel about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-941
as a GSoC 2012 candidate?

@Stephen, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on Karaf-941 in case
it crosses over with EIK's capabilities.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Evanchik <ev...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas,

--
Stephen Evanchik
http://stephen.evanchik.com

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Would you like to propose your project idea via karaf's jira? By
labelling the issue with "gsoc2012" in JIRA it will be added to
http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Evanchik <ev...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Stephen Evanchik
http://stephen.evanchik.com

Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.