Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/10 09:30:22 UTC

Re: Pregraduation list

On 10/24/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 8/22/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Looking at our status file, the following need to be checked off:
> > > *1* Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have
> > > been updated to reflect the new ASF copyright.
> > > *2* Check and make sure that for all code included with the
> > > distribution that is not under the Apache license has the right to
> > > combine with Apache-licensed code and redistribute.
> > > *3* Check and make sure that all source code distributed by the
> > > project is covered by one or more of the following approved licenses:
> > > Apache, BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with
> > > essentially the same terms.
> > > *4* Migrate Jira
> > > *5* Migrate wiki
> > > *6* Setup incubator.apache.org/roller/

So 2/3 should be good.  I would like to know about the
toplink-essentials jar below, but we don't distribute it so not a
killer.

> Also, in jdobackend:
>
> ./sandbox/jdobackend/lib/toplink-essentials.jar
>
> strikes up a flag. Any idea to the license on that? I suspect we need
> to make sure we don't distribute that.
>
> > > On 1, I seem to recall there being a few files that were copyrighted
> > > to other people. Cliff's documented a policy on this now and we'll
> > > need to change things (all the ASF does). Not all files need the ASF
> > > copyright, so if we have some left without that we can figure that
> > > out.
> >
> > And #1?
>
> We have copyright to:
>
> Thomas Fuchs
> Erik Bosrup
> Sun Microsystems
> David M Johnson (including in the outputed javadoc by the look of it)
> BSquare
> OpenSymphony
> Geir Landr
> Marty Haught
> (and in xinhua)
>   interactivetools.com
>   dynarch.com
>   Walter Zorn
>  The PHP Group
>   DTLink, LLC
>
> None mentioned in the NOTICE.txt. A large number of them are from
> javascript bits, but there are a lot in the source too.
>
> My understanding is that we need to mention all of these in the
> NOTICE.txt - but I'm also a bit worried by just how many of them are
> there.

I'd like to see this fixed before a 3.1 release.

> > > 5 is a small sticking point. There're no JSPWiki installs at the ASF,
> > > just MoinMoin and Confluence. Looking at the Roller wiki, the content
> > > looks more like a website anyway and I think a fair amount of it
> > > should be flattened into #6.
> >
> > I propose that we:
> >
> > - Move the website portion of the wiki (i.e. the front page of helpful
> > links) to static HTML files at incubator.apache.org/roller/.
> >
> > - Pick a wiki to be used at Apache org
> >
> > - Establish a Roller page on the wiki
> >
> > - Do all new Ideas and proposals at the Apache Roller wiki
> >
> > - Put a "This is the old wiki, go to the new one" links on the
> > rollerweblogger.org/wiki site
> >
> > - Gradually migrate content from the old wiki, now and after graduation

What's the status on this? Given that we're just pushing 3.0 out, can
we be working on this during the lull before it would seem sane to
push out 3.1?

Hen

Re: Pregraduation list

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Henri,
>
> >> Also, in jdobackend:
> >>
> >> ./sandbox/jdobackend/lib/toplink-essentials.jar
> >>
> >> strikes up a flag. Any idea to the license on that? I suspect we need
> >> to make sure we don't distribute that.
>
> This is licensed under the CDDL, which Cliff says is compatible with
> Apache license. It's from the Glassfish app server repository at
> dev.java.net. If we do decide to ship it, according to Cliff, we just
> need to put a reference to CDDL into the NOTICE file.

Thanks Craig, it was a new jar name to me (and a commercial name at
that), so good to know.

Hen

Re: Pregraduation list

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Henri,

On Nov 10, 2006, at 12:30 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

>> have
>> right to
>> licenses:
>
> So 2/3 should be good.  I would like to know about the
> toplink-essentials jar below, but we don't distribute it so not a
> killer.
>
>> Also, in jdobackend:
>>
>> ./sandbox/jdobackend/lib/toplink-essentials.jar
>>
>> strikes up a flag. Any idea to the license on that? I suspect we need
>> to make sure we don't distribute that.

This is licensed under the CDDL, which Cliff says is compatible with
Apache license. It's from the Glassfish app server repository at
dev.java.net. If we do decide to ship it, according to Cliff, we just
need to put a reference to CDDL into the NOTICE file.

Craig

>> copyrighted
>> we'll
>> the ASF
>> that
>> >
>> > And #1?
>>
>> We have copyright to:
>>
>> Thomas Fuchs
>> Erik Bosrup
>> Sun Microsystems
>> David M Johnson (including in the outputed javadoc by the look of it)
>> BSquare
>> OpenSymphony
>> Geir Landr
>> Marty Haught
>> (and in xinhua)
>>   interactivetools.com
>>   dynarch.com
>>   Walter Zorn
>>  The PHP Group
>>   DTLink, LLC
>>
>> None mentioned in the NOTICE.txt. A large number of them are from
>> javascript bits, but there are a lot in the source too.
>>
>> My understanding is that we need to mention all of these in the
>> NOTICE.txt - but I'm also a bit worried by just how many of them are
>> there.
>
> I'd like to see this fixed before a 3.1 release.

>> the ASF,
>> content
>> >
>> > I propose that we:
>> >
>> > - Move the website portion of the wiki (i.e. the front page of
>> helpful
>> > links) to static HTML files at incubator.apache.org/roller/.
>> >
>> > - Pick a wiki to be used at Apache org
>> >
>> > - Establish a Roller page on the wiki
>> >
>> > - Do all new Ideas and proposals at the Apache Roller wiki
>> >
>> > - Put a "This is the old wiki, go to the new one" links on the
>> > rollerweblogger.org/wiki site
>> >
>> > - Gradually migrate content from the old wiki, now and after
>> graduation
>
> What's the status on this? Given that we're just pushing 3.0 out, can
> we be working on this during the lull before it would seem sane to
> push out 3.1?
>
> Hen

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com