Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Marc D. Murray" <ma...@phronein.com> on 2005/04/27 07:36:42 UTC

xml database + lenya ?

I was looking for more ways to make use of lenya and other ways in which
people have used it.
What I want to know is, does anyone here use Lenya with an XML database.
If so, which one, and can you give some clues (without compromising
security and NDAs etc etc) as to how you do it.

For XML Database, my options seem to be :

        Xindice:  - been at 1.0 since forever (scary) / + it's an apache
        project
        eXist [http://www.exist-db.org/] : - I see no mention of XPath
        only XQuery / + LGPL, active development
        Sleeycat Berkely DB XML
        [http://www.sleepycat.com/products/xml.shtml] : - cost money.
        dbXML (revised edition)
        [http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbxml-core/] : - last release
        Aug 2004. / + GPL

I found a post in the lenya-dev list with a link to a blog entry
entitled :

"Inspirationtional Technology: dbXML Open Source....
again" [http://www.xmldatabases.org/WK/blog/579?t=item].

It describes the evolution of dbXML to become Xindice
[http://xml.apache.org/xindice], dbXML stopped to facilitate the growth
of Xindice only to be forked again to become dbXML. Again.

The reason for the re-release, from
[http://tbradford.blogspot.com/2003_10_09_tbradford_archive.html#106572747255126845] :

        For a period of time, he and I continued to contribute to the
        open source project, hoping that others would follow our lead
        and help to take Xindice in new and more organic directions.
        This never really seemed to happen, and the project is now, for
        the most part, stagnant.

>>From the first blog post something similar regarding Xindice :

        ...Xindice hasn't fared too well of late and the project is
        pretty stagnant at this point. The project has been struggling
        to get a 1.1 release out. 1.1 was originally intended to be a
        quick bugfix release to go out a month or so after 1.0.
        Obviously it's been a fair bit more then a month

the scary part is that both blog articles are from October 2003 and
Xindice is still at version 1.0. Is it really that "stable" or has it
really gone stagnant?

Re: xml database + lenya ?

Posted by "Marc D. Murray" <ma...@phronein.com>.
Correction. I now know that XQuery and XPath are different technologies
with different purposes. For a quick definition for ppl makin my
mistake :
http://www.brics.dk/~amoeller/XML/linking/overview.html

MDM

Re: xml database + lenya ?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Marc D. Murray wrote:

> I was looking for more ways to make use of lenya and other ways in
> which people have used it.
> What I want to know is, does anyone here use Lenya with an XML
> database. If so, which one, and can you give some clues (without
> compromising security and NDAs etc etc) as to how you do it.

we once made an integration with XIndice and it worked very fine, whereas
the documents were kept parallel (within the filesystem and XIndice) and
XIndice was used to do XPath queries.

I hope this situation will improve with the integration of JCR, whereas
I am not sure if there is an existing persistance manager for something
like XIndice.

HTH

Michi

--