Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris Pall <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/01 01:08:07 UTC

Maven Presentation

I'll be giving a Maven presentation in the next couple of months, and wanted
to know if anyone had any good resources on this sort of thing. I want to
highlight how Maven is significantly better than what we are currently
doing, which is relatively typical: ant scripts with custom deploy systems
(to push configurations). What are the biggest points that make using maven
better, I've read the "What is Maven?" page, and I've got the five main
bullet points. Should I just stick to those?

A google search brings up the following:

http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Maven/Presentation

Which suggests that if we've got a working ant build, there's no real point
to using maven, which surprised me, cause the maven documentation suggests
that Maven is more than a build system. How do I really make the case that
it does more than this?

-- cgp

Re: Maven Presentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Ping me offline and you can have one of the 12 Maven presentations
I've given over the years as a starting point.

On 31-Jul-08, at 4:08 PM, Chris Pall wrote:

> I'll be giving a Maven presentation in the next couple of months,
> and wanted
> to know if anyone had any good resources on this sort of thing. I
> want to
> highlight how Maven is significantly better than what we are currently
> doing, which is relatively typical: ant scripts with custom deploy
> systems
> (to push configurations). What are the biggest points that make
> using maven
> better, I've read the "What is Maven?" page, and I've got the five
> main
> bullet points. Should I just stick to those?
>
> A google search brings up the following:
>
> http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Maven/Presentation
>
> Which suggests that if we've got a working ant build, there's no
> real point
> to using maven, which surprised me, cause the maven documentation
> suggests
> that Maven is more than a build system. How do I really make the
> case that
> it does more than this?
>

> -- cgp

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition