Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by lekkie <le...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/17 10:09:33 UTC

dynamic routing with Camel without downtime

I have this special case where I'd like to create an OSGi bundle that takes
input from consume from an endpoint routes to another endpoint based on
content.

This is a lil it different from the traditional content-based routing only.
I'd like to add nodes that actually perform the routing (to another
service/endpoint) to be dynamically updated (think of adding new routes
without downtime to the service retrieving messages from the consumer
endpoint) without any downtime to the routing camel service.

Can this be done? If yes, what is the best design?

kr.

Re: dynamic routing with Camel without downtime

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

I think the dynamic recipient list might be a good solution for your
problem.  It allows you to configure the list of target endpoints in a
header, but you can also use a bean to determine the target endpoints
for a given exchange.  This is an extremely powerful thing because
inside the bean you can basically do anything you want to determine
the next endpoint.  It's a plain java class so you can access database
or files, connect to remote services or use any kind of resource or
algorithm.

You can find some background on how to use the pattern in Camel in
http://camel.apache.org/recipient-list.html.  There's also an
annotation you can use to configure everything in a single bean (cfr.
http://camel.apache.org/recipientlist-annotation.html).  A few months
ago, I also wrote a blog post about how you can use this inside
ServiceMix to build a better CBR
(http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/2009/01/better-cbr.html) that you
might find helpful.

Regards,