Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Gerd Knops <ge...@bitart.com> on 1998/09/08 04:20:00 UTC

Re: mod_cgi/2894: cgi triggers premature EOF to be sent to client

The following reply was made to PR mod_cgi/2894; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gerd Knops <ge...@bitart.com>
To: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>, Craig Miskell <cm...@csarc.otago.ac.nz>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_cgi/2894: cgi triggers premature EOF to be sent to client
Date: Mon,  7 Sep 98 21:10:14 -0500

 Hello,

 I received an EMail from another person (Craig Miskell
 <cm...@csarc.otago.ac.nz>) who is able to reproduce the problem on the
 same platform. I also did some more tests and the problem is not related to
 the 'sleep', any code that burns a little time can trickle the problem. Even
 the test script added below triggers the problem on occasion, the error log
 then reports

 	Signal: TERM
 	Signal: PIPE
 	Signal: PIPE
 	Signal: PIPE

 Craig suggested that the problem seems to occur at a 4096 byte boundary, and
 also that only perl scripts seem to trigger it. Could it be some odd
 combination of Apache/OPENSTEP 4.2/perl (5.004_02 in my case) that causes the
 problem?

 As a side node: I have mod_perl compiled in, and when I run an identical
 script handled by mod_perl the problem goes away.

 If you could provide any pointers as to where to start looking in the code
 for the cause I'd gladly give it a try.

 Thanks

 Gerd

 ---------------cut---------------
 #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

 foreach (keys %SIG)
 {
 	$SIG{$_}=\&tell;
 }

 $|=1;
 print "Content-type: text/html\n\n<HTML>\n</HEAD>\n<BODY>\n";

 $t="The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog<BR>\n";

 for($i=0;$i<200;$i++)
 {
 	if($i%10==0)
 	{