Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/01/25 04:58:56 UTC

Building all of Commons

Back in July, Jason setup Jakarta Commons with an example output site.

http://www.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/

I think it was a kind of prototype reactor maven.xml and not the reactor
which will be in b8 [is in cvs head]. If I run the default goal in b7 I
get the following error below.

Does anyone have any hints of the direction the maven/project.xml in
Commons should go? I'd like to get nightly builds of Commons going under
Maven and although I've got nightly-build bash scripts, it's probably
better to do it the Maven way.

The reason for getting them going is that it is reflecting negatively on
Maven for some projects which treat Ant as the primary tool and maven as a
secondary tool. Maven is only run once every few months by the committers,
so it's often out of date and non-functional. If it builds nightly, it'll
be quicker to be fixed, as gump has shown.

Hen

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 00:11, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 22:58, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > >
> > > The reason for getting them going is that it is reflecting negatively on
> > > Maven for some projects which treat Ant as the primary tool and maven as a
> > > secondary tool.
> >
> > But that's how they build. I'm not really into forcing anyone to use
> > Maven if they don't want to. Of course I would like them too but if they
> > find it annoying (as some do) then that's unfortunate but reality. I do
> > not want to get into the habit of maintaining another project's build
> > because it just doesn't make sense. I made the initial reactor to show
> > what could be done but not much happenend after that.
>
> I'm volunteering to do the after that. Maven is slowly creeping all over
> Commons, but its losing in a couple of places; project.xml's that get out
> of date and websites that look different.
>
> While the developers may use Ant to build, the existencce of a project.xml
> means a lot of happy Maven users complain when they find that they have to
> use Ant to build.

Fair enough, users are important.

> > If you want to try again then I'll help in whatever way I can. The
> > reactor has changed slightly and it would be easily to exclude projects
> > that don't use maven as the primary tool. You can't tell people what
> > build tool to use because that would just be an outrage in the
> > community, a supreme violation of free will. If projects don't use Maven
> > what can you do? Nothing really except keep trying to make Maven better.
> >
> > > Maven is only run once every few months by the committers,
> > > so it's often out of date and non-functional. If it builds nightly, it'll
> > > be quicker to be fixed, as gump has shown.
> >
> > What do you want to propose? I don't think you're going to get a very
> > warm reception asking project maintainer to keep Maven builds up-to-date
> > and we really can't expect them to if they don't want to use Maven.
>
> All Commons projects seem to have project.xmls at the moment. It's less in
> the sandbox [22 of the 50 or so]. The minimum I want to do is to build
> each project and build an email report of projects that fail. I can do
> that well enough in bash though.

Cool, we can chat off line because I don't like talking about vapourware
but there will soon be a tool to help you in your endeavours. You can
test it if you like.

> What I'd prefer to do though is to generate the Commons site you
> demonstrated, each night. As well as showing things compile, this would
> provide a good framework in which to nudge projects into a coherent
> information architecture.

I'm all for it. I will definitely help you with the reactor bits.

> I just need to learn how to generate the site :) I'm happy to move to
> cvs_head for it.
>
> Hen

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Building all of Commons

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: Building all of Commons

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 22:58, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Back in July, Jason setup Jakarta Commons with an example output site.
>
> http://www.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/
>
> I think it was a kind of prototype reactor maven.xml and not the reactor
> which will be in b8 [is in cvs head]. If I run the default goal in b7 I
> get the following error below.
>
> Does anyone have any hints of the direction the maven/project.xml in
> Commons should go? I'd like to get nightly builds of Commons going under
> Maven and although I've got nightly-build bash scripts, it's probably
> better to do it the Maven way.
>
> The reason for getting them going is that it is reflecting negatively on
> Maven for some projects which treat Ant as the primary tool and maven as a
> secondary tool.

But that's how they build. I'm not really into forcing anyone to use
Maven if they don't want to. Of course I would like them too but if they
find it annoying (as some do) then that's unfortunate but reality. I do
not want to get into the habit of maintaining another project's build
because it just doesn't make sense. I made the initial reactor to show
what could be done but not much happenend after that.

If you want to try again then I'll help in whatever way I can. The
reactor has changed slightly and it would be easily to exclude projects
that don't use maven as the primary tool. You can't tell people what
build tool to use because that would just be an outrage in the
community, a supreme violation of free will. If projects don't use Maven
what can you do? Nothing really except keep trying to make Maven better.

> Maven is only run once every few months by the committers,
> so it's often out of date and non-functional. If it builds nightly, it'll
> be quicker to be fixed, as gump has shown.

What do you want to propose? I don't think you're going to get a very
warm reception asking project maintainer to keep Maven builds up-to-date
and we really can't expect them to if they don't want to use Maven.

> Hen

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Building all of Commons

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
HttpClient seems to build quite well with maven, and you can't beat the
site generation (even though I don't quite understand how to control the
creation of the nav bar).  I'm still new at this so I'll see how it
looks over time, but we wouldn't mind being part of an all (or mostly)
commons build, particularly if that can be automated.  Its not
unreasonable to regenerated the website daily, just for the sake of the
maven reports.

-jsd

Re: Building all of Commons

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.