Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by m zyzy <my...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/18 11:13:37 UTC

tomcat maximum thread settings

Whenever I see to the server status page in the manager webapp I
always see the maximum threads were set to 200 , can I increase the
thread quantity , as I noticed  with 3 users sessions at once for one
webapp, the threads count usually between 2 or 3 . as I plan to have
more than 200 users by the time the webapp is fully implemented , I
thought the threads maximum might need some tweaking.
Thanks.

RE: tomcat maximum thread settings

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: m zyzy [mailto:myzyzy@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: tomcat maximum thread settings
>
> can I increase the maximum threads value from 200 to something
> larger like perhaps 400 or 500 for each webapp ?

The maxThreads value is for a <Connector> (or perhaps executor, if you're using that), not a webapp.  How large you can make it depends on the platform and JVM you're running on.  More threads require more Java heap and more process space; adding threads won't help if the requests bottleneck somewhere in your webapp, such as when making database requests.

You can't meaningfully tune something until you measure it under the expected load.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat maximum thread settings

Posted by m zyzy <my...@gmail.com>.
can I increase the maximum threads value from 200 to something larger
like perhaps 400 or 500 for each webapp ?
Thanks.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.