Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/07/28 14:44:51 UTC

Re: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ

Folks,

I'm sending this again because it is important. Pivot is an open-source project. We don't have an enormous marketing department that will take care of promoting the product for us. We, the Pivot community, need to do that. I'm happy to drive it, but I need feedback from people who are actually using the product in order to do so.

If you are using Pivot and you like it and want to see it succeed, please consider providing some feedback about your experience. Again, it doesn't have to be overly detailed. I'll follow up with you later to fill in any gaps, if necessary.

I asked a similar question a few months back, so feel free to disregard this if you have already responded.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Posted by "Kamil T." <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I use Pivot as view/GUI part of portal management tool - it
communicates with portal using web-services.
I'm planning to use it also for my future projects - web based CRM and
stock analyse application. So far I'm really enjoying working with it
- it is easy to build a nice and good looking gui. Although the way it
handles input of non us characters on windows, prevents me from fully
releasing it to the customers - but that issue was already addressed
as far a I know.

As a side note, it would be also nice to have parent property inside
TreeNode and TreeBranch objects.

Regards
Kamil Toszek

Posted by Jérôme Serré <je...@gmail.com>.
Hello

I use Pivot for the presentation part in an n-tier application.
The screens communicate with the server (tomcat) by the servlet.

Pivot is easy to use and learn, the support is excellent. You can see what
is done at the following address:

http://82.212.51.100:8000/vsm/login.jsp
login: vsm
pwd: vsm
firefox only

The application is in progress, it is possible that there is the bug.
If you have any questions feel.

Re: Reporting and JDBC (was: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ)

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> 1.Report tools.
> Now I use IBM info print to generate the PDF in AS400 side since this
> function already exist in old system already.
> I am looking for some open sucore report tools like JasperReports .
> Do you have any recommend?

I have never used them myself, but I have heard good things about JasperReports. ReportMill is another one you could consider, though it is not open source. Either one could probably be wrapped fairly easily for use in a Pivot application. If you do decide to take this approach, please consider contributing your results to the project!

> 2.JDBC tableview adapter.
> My application is use JSP(json )to get data by jdbc .and then pass to
> tableview.

OK, that's good. TableView currently supports JSON data natively - you can take the result of JSONSerializer#readObject() and use it as your table model without conversion. Are you currently using it this way?

Re: Reporting and JDBC (was: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ)

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> 1.Report tools.
> Now I use IBM info print to generate the PDF in AS400 side since this
> function already exist in old system already.
> I am looking for some open sucore report tools like JasperReports .
> Do you have any recommend?

I have never used them myself, but I have heard good things about JasperReports. ReportMill is another one you could consider, though it is not open source. Either one could probably be wrapped fairly easily for use in a Pivot application. If you do decide to take this approach, please consider contributing your results to the project!

> 2.JDBC tableview adapter.
> My application is use JSP(json )to get data by jdbc .and then pass to
> tableview.

OK, that's good. TableView currently supports JSON data natively - you can take the result of JSONSerializer#readObject() and use it as your table model without conversion. Are you currently using it this way?

Re: Reporting and JDBC (was: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ)

Posted by ke...@sz.murata.com.cn.
Hi Greg,

1.Report tools.
Now I use IBM info print to generate the PDF in AS400 side since this
function already exist in old system already.
I am looking for some open sucore report tools like JasperReports .
Do you have any recommend?

2.JDBC tableview adapter.
My application is use JSP(json )to get data by jdbc .and then pass to
tableview.

Yes,we can make anything by ourself.
But if we can provide the success stories with demo application(Full
enterprise feature).then new comer is easy to study and use it.

Best regards,
Ken Jiang

Murata Electronics Trading  (Shenzhen) Co.,Ltd
Tel:86-755-82847251
E-mail:kenjiang@sz.murata.com.cn

  From:       Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>

  To:         user@pivot.apache.org

  Cc:         Pivot Dev <de...@pivot.apache.org>

  Date:       07/29/2010 22:33

  Subject:    Re: Reporting and JDBC (was: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ)

> I wish Pivot can provide more and more enterprise feature ,more example
and
> more easy to use.
>
> For example,
> 1.Reporting solution.

What tool do you use for reporting now? It may be possible to write a basic
Pivot wrapper for it, like we do with JFreeChart.

> 2.JDBC tableview adapter.

Does your application talk to the database via JDBC directly?

  From:       Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>

  To:         user@pivot.apache.org

  Cc:         Pivot Dev <de...@pivot.apache.org>

  Date:       07/29/2010 22:33

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> I wish Pivot can provide more and more enterprise feature ,more example and
> more easy to use.
>
> For example,
> 1.Reporting solution.

What tool do you use for reporting now? It may be possible to write a basic Pivot wrapper for it, like we do with JFreeChart.

> 2.JDBC tableview adapter.

Does your application talk to the database via JDBC directly?

Re: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ

Posted by ke...@sz.murata.com.cn.
Hi Greg,

I am working to use Piovt to develop enterprise program.

The Project is Web quotation workflow system .
Platform is Piovt+Json(Jsp)+AS400(DB2) ,oracle and domino.
Now under the UAT and User think that is good UI.

Until now,I think that is good platform to develop real world
application(especially for enterprise)  quickly.
Our user also think it very easy to use .

I wish Pivot can provide more and more enterprise feature ,more example and
more easy to use.

For example,
1.Reporting solution.
2.JDBC tableview adapter.

Anyhow,I very appreciate all of your effort and always reply me.(even my
question is junior )

  From:       Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>

  To:         Pivot User <us...@pivot.apache.org>, Pivot Dev <de...@pivot.apache.org>

  Date:       07/28/2010 21:03

  Subject:    Re: Pivot "success stories" - PLEASE READ

By the way, please feel free to respond off-list if you prefer. I know not
everyone is willing or able to divulge project details in a public forum.
We'll figure out an appropriate way to present it later.
Thanks again,

  From:       Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>

  To:         Pivot User <us...@pivot.apache.org>, Pivot Dev <de...@pivot.apache.org>

  Date:       07/28/2010 21:03