Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2018/08/26 15:13:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove the slides under "Community & Project Info"

Hi all!

In the past, we collected slide sets under the "Community & Project Info"
side.

I would like to see what the community thinks about removing them. There
are currently several issues:

  - The list is not well maintained. Tthere are for example no 2018 slides
at all.
  - Many slide sets are outdated. For example 2014 Flink internals are not
really relevant any more.
  - When searching for certain terms, the Youtube videos and slideshare
uploads appear first anyways
  - The list may create a wrong impression about having definitive
resources.

Best,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove the slides under "Community & Project Info"

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for removing these slides.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for removing these slides.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Renjie Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Stephan:
Can we put project wiki in some place? I think it's a great place to find
flip lists

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:56 AM vino yang <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> The reason is the same as Hequn, because we have given a link to
> SlideShare under the "Flink Forward" section.
>
> Thanks, vino.
>
> Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com> 于2018年8月27日周一 上午9:31写道:
>
>> Hi Stephan,
>>
>> Thanks for bringing up this discussion.
>> I think we can just remove it, because slides have already be provided
>> from the `Flink Forward` section in this page. Adding another slides
>> section not only brings redundancy but also introduces problems you listed
>> above.
>>
>> Best, Hequn
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 11:13 PM Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> In the past, we collected slide sets under the "Community & Project Info"
>>> side.
>>>
>>> I would like to see what the community thinks about removing them. There
>>> are currently several issues:
>>>
>>>   - The list is not well maintained. Tthere are for example no 2018
>>> slides
>>> at all.
>>>   - Many slide sets are outdated. For example 2014 Flink internals are
>>> not
>>> really relevant any more.
>>>   - When searching for certain terms, the Youtube videos and slideshare
>>> uploads appear first anyways
>>>   - The list may create a wrong impression about having definitive
>>> resources.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Stephan
>>>
>> --
Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove the slides under "Community & Project Info"

Posted by Renjie Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Stephan:
Can we put project wiki in some place? I think it's a great place to find
flip lists

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:56 AM vino yang <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> The reason is the same as Hequn, because we have given a link to
> SlideShare under the "Flink Forward" section.
>
> Thanks, vino.
>
> Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com> 于2018年8月27日周一 上午9:31写道:
>
>> Hi Stephan,
>>
>> Thanks for bringing up this discussion.
>> I think we can just remove it, because slides have already be provided
>> from the `Flink Forward` section in this page. Adding another slides
>> section not only brings redundancy but also introduces problems you listed
>> above.
>>
>> Best, Hequn
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 11:13 PM Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> In the past, we collected slide sets under the "Community & Project Info"
>>> side.
>>>
>>> I would like to see what the community thinks about removing them. There
>>> are currently several issues:
>>>
>>>   - The list is not well maintained. Tthere are for example no 2018
>>> slides
>>> at all.
>>>   - Many slide sets are outdated. For example 2014 Flink internals are
>>> not
>>> really relevant any more.
>>>   - When searching for certain terms, the Youtube videos and slideshare
>>> uploads appear first anyways
>>>   - The list may create a wrong impression about having definitive
>>> resources.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Stephan
>>>
>> --
Liu, Renjie
Software Engineer, MVAD

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove the slides under "Community & Project Info"

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1