Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Vitaly Baranovsky <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/11 12:14:32 UTC

How can I use one portal implementation for several virtual hosts?

Hello!

I'm very new to Jetspeed and have some questions:
We want to use one portal implementation for several virtual hosts like:
main.site.org
order.site.org
administrative.site.org
etc.

     I simply put each site psml files in different directory and set
modrewrite rules to correspondent locations:

Main.site.org   >    workserver.com:8080/jetspeed/portal/main/

But this is working bad way:
     - declarative menus leads to pages linking workserver.com:8080/jetspeed….
instead main.site.org - mod rewrite helps still redirect but there is
problems with breadcrumbs for example. Top level link in the tree is
workserver.com:8080/jetspeed/portal instead
workserver.com:8080/jetspeed/portal/main.

Can someone give some advice how to did such thing properly?

And second question: After creating mod-rewrite rules i've entered
main.site.org in my browser and have logged in using my login and password.
But after clicking on main.site.org/news in menu i've been loose my logged
state, and I was need to enter my password again. There are two different
JSESSIONID cookies after this: cookie for main.site.org and cookie for
workserver.com.

So, how can I log in main.site.org with mod-rewrite and don't loose my
logged session?

Re: How can I use one portal implementation for several virtual hosts?

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
Oooh, this sounds like it would become very messy very quickly.

What you need is profiling based on the hostname.  If you had that,
you would be all set.

In that case, you could simply setup the different virtual hosts in
apache and then hook them all up to the same tomcat instance/cluster
and then depending on the hostname, you get a different set of pages
and decorators.

Now, I'm pretty sure such a thing does not exist.  However, if your
user sets for each hostname did not over lap (exclusive sets), then
you could set up a group for each and then use group profiling to
achieve this.   The only problem is that that supposes that they have
been logged in already.  So, you could make HTML static pages for the
logins under each virtual host I guess.

Still a little messy I guess, but might work.

But again, if you had profiling by hostname, you'd be all set.   You
may want to ask for such a feature...