Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by James James <re...@yahoo.com> on 2009/12/08 21:26:37 UTC

download mahout-0.2 release

Hi, I just downloaded mahout-0.2, but could not find the libraries (.jar file) needed for mahout. Is there a separate place to download these files?

Thanks,

James

Re: mahout-0.2 release test case failed

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM, James James <re...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Thanks again, Sean! We run Maven on linux and this time we only got one
> test failed. It is a clustering test. The error message is included below.
> Has anybody else run into the same error before?

James,

I haven't run into the problem, but if you want to try the build without the
unit tests, you can run

mvn clean install -DskipTests=true

Re: mahout-0.2 release test case failed

Posted by James James <re...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, Sean. I run it again, and the error is reproducible as I got exactly the same error.

Thanks,

James

________________________________
Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James James <re...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
> I am -1 for a change with out a bit more details.

I think having two options (source+doc and source+doc+dependent jars)
would make everybody happy.

Having the source in the second option only adds a small amount to the
size, compared to (a typical set of) dependent jars.

[snip]

> Also, I have some question about the second option due largely to my
> maven
> inexperience.  Is there an easy way to tell maven that jars *might( be
> present locally and that it doesn't need to download them?  It would
> seem
> really a bad idea to have to change the pom for different
> distributions.

This is how Maven operates by default. You have a local cache
(typically ~/.m2) that's used for all versioned jars.

Snapshot jars require checks against the source repo, but that's not a
common case.

And the build still works (with warnings) if your network is down, as
long as you have some version of the snapshot jar available.

-- Ken

> To argue against my own point, is it the sense of the group that the
> source-only need is satisfied by svn access?
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Patterson, Josh
> <jp...@tva.gov>wrote:
>
>> I think this is probably a good idea from a base "simplest use case"
>> viewpoint;
>>
>> If I come along and just want to try out something in Mahout as
>> quickly
>> as possible, I could download the jars and give something a quick
>> try.
>> If it works out for me, then that draws me further into thinking out
>> looking at the actual source code and possibly contributing later
>> down
>> the road. Datamining, Hadoop, et al are complex enough for the
>> average
>> user --- why not provide an option that caters to the casual crowd
>> and
>> lowers that barrier to entry just a little?
>>
>> Its trivial to offer the jars and the rest of us can continue to use
>> Maven/Ant to build as we like.
>>
>> Josh

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
In reading some more of the thread, I think we may have two topics going on
(sorry if I caused the split).

I think that these are:

Thread 1: Core, Colt and other sub-modules should be distributed as (binary)
jars

+1 from me on this.  I didn't imagine that this might be controversial at
all so I didn't even think originally that this might be under discussion.

Thread 2: The source distro should have all dependent jars included in it

-1 from me on this unless we can have a slimmer source jar as well.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that there is a significant advantage to having a small source
> download.

+1 here. I don't feel that svn access to the sources is sufficient.

>    - source plus jars
>
>    - binary

I'm not certain that we need both binary and source plus jars, but that
might be my misunderstanding of the difference between the two. Assuming
that binary is a subset of source plus jars (without sources), I'd vote for
a source plus jars alternative and be done with it. I doubt that the source
would add so much size to the distribution as to cause problems.

Also, I have some question about the second option due largely to my maven
> inexperience.  Is there an easy way to tell maven that jars *might( be
> present locally and that it doesn't need to download them?

Minimally it would require the user to run 'mvn install' from the source
plus jars distribution to get the jars installed in their local maven
repository. I think the real power of a distribution that includes jars is
for people who don't want to scale the maven learning curve and/or quickly
and easily get into running the examples.

It would seem
> really a bad idea to have to change the pom for different distributions.

Agreed.

Strangely enough, as it is, the .job file is darn close to a binary
distribution, but isn't necessarily user-friendly as such.

Drew

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I am -1 for a change with out a bit more details.

I think that there is a significant advantage to having a small source
download.

How about a middle ground of having the following jars:

    - source only (assumes you will use maven to download jars)

    - source plus jars

    - binary

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

RE: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:

> As for the jars we depend on:
>
> I assume that not all of Mahout depends on all libraries. Say the
> clustering code certainly does not depend on HBase. Especially for those
> users who do not want to use maven for their project, it might be pretty
> interesting to know, which libraries are needed by the components they
> are specifically interested in.

The dependency reports from maven are pretty helpful to this end. Thanks for
setting these up. It is too bad that deep links into the repo can't be
generated as a part of this report as well.

I agree to not forcing users to use maven. I'm really like maven, but I know
plenty of people who aren't or don't want to be bothered learning it.

To move ahead with a binary release, it is necessary to determine the
minimum set of dependencies we need to re-distribute with the release. The
number of dependencies Mahout has is pretty large, but many of them are
transitive. I suspect many of these are not needed, for example the jetty
and tomcat releated jars pulled in by hadoop and some of the duplicates (2
versions of commons-cli, etc). See:
http://people.apache.org/~isabel/mahout_site/mahout-core/dependencies.htmlfor
the report, as a start.

Grant, do you have a sense of which jars we can redistribute and which we
can't? I did notice javax.mail was in there, but are there others? For that
matter, how is javax.mail used anyway? It is present in the maven/pom.xml,
but doesn't seem to break the build  if it is removed.

It is also worth discussing the goals of a binary release -- and whether it
goes beyond providing pre-built jars, a limited set of dependencies and
allows a number of examples to be run or includes a driver script similar to
that included in hadoop or nutch (as proposed in MAHOUT-185). Does anyone
have thoughts regarding this?

Drew

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Thu Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Keep in mind that we may not be able to redistribute all jars, which
> is why we rely on Maven, for better or worse.

As for the jars we depend on:

I assume that not all of Mahout depends on all libraries. Say the
clustering code certainly does not depend on HBase. Especially for those
users who do not want to use maven for their project, it might be pretty
interesting to know, which libraries are needed by the components they
are specifically interested in.

That way they only need to download what is really needed. Maybe it
might be helpful for them to have a list of deep links into the
repositories where we draw our dependencies from.

I generally do not like the idea of forcing our users to use maven to
comfortably work with Mahout. I also think it could be scary to those
using maven to see the classpath of their project filled with lots and
lots of jars that they may not even need for the particular algorithm
they are interested in?

Isabel

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Keep in mind that we may not be able to redistribute all jars, which is why we rely on Maven, for better or worse.

-Grant

Posted by David Stuart <da...@progressivealliance.co.uk>.

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mirko <id...@googlemail.com>.
I had the same problem, some tests failed. I removed the test folder to get the build working.

Regards,
Mirko

Posted by "F.Ozgur Catak" <f....@gmail.com>.
+1 :)

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah I think we should just include the .jars next time for
> > convenience.
>
> +1

+1 from me as well.

  -jake

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can depend on the artifacts in the Maven repository, or just run
> 'mvn install' locally to build all the .jars.

Or you can pull them from the Apache maven repo:

Core:

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=releases&g=org.apache.mahout&a=mahout-core&v=0.2&p=jar

Examples:

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=releases&g=org.apache.mahout&a=mahout-examples&v=0.2&p=jar

Webapp for Taste:

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=releases&g=org.apache.mahout&a=mahout-taste-webapp&v=0.2&p=war

Utils:

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=releases&g=org.apache.mahout&a=mahout-utils&v=0.2&p=jar

> Yeah I think we should just include the .jars next time for
> convenience.

+1

Re: download mahout-0.2 release

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.