Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by tweekyyy <tw...@laposte.net> on 2008/07/31 14:10:31 UTC

Commit without revision changes / minor changes

Hi there,

I would like to know how to commit my code without changing the revision number.  I would like to commit minor changes regularly to keep a back up of the code and the evolution and when the functionalities are completed and tested, I would finally commit with a revision changes.  I would be able to have the distinction between minor changes/revision changes.

Thank you for your help!
Pete

 Créez votre adresse électronique prenom.nom@laposte.net
 1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.

Re: Commit without revision changes / minor changes

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
tweekyyy wrote:
> I would like to know how to commit my code without changing the revision
> number.

The revision number is a monotonically increasing value that is global
to the repository.  Every commit requires a new revision number.

> I would be able to have the distinction between minor
> changes/revision changes.

Your project's version number has no connection to the repository
revision number.  You can increment that using whatever method you
choose; typically you would create a new tag whenever you bump the
project version.  You might even have separate tag folders for each
major release 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and under that have the minor changes,
1.1.1-1.1.9, etc...

John

Re: Commit without revision changes / minor changes

Posted by Pete <tw...@laposte.net>.
Thanks John and Andrew.

Allright... it kinda makes sense. If you commit, you might wish a
revision. It fits the purpose of the versioning control.

The branching thingy appears closer to what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your help!
Pete

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.
Short answer:  No.

Long answer:  No, use process instead.

Do the minor changes on a branch.  Merge the minor changes to the major trunk/branch when done.  There is absolutely no point in trying to control or micro-manage the repository’s revision number.

I would like to know how to commit my code without changing the revision number.  I would like to commit minor changes regularly to keep a back up of the code and the evolution and when the functionalities are completed and tested, I would finally commit with a revision changes.  I would be able to have the distinction between minor changes/revision changes.

Thank you for your help!
Pete

Créez votre adresse <http://www.laposte.net>  électronique prenom.nom@laposte.net
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA622