Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2013/05/01 16:40:33 UTC

Re: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "HotdoGProposal" by H. Joe Lee

Benson,

HDF Group is a growing research industry originally seeded by NASA
investments
and now privately funded. HDF is the de facto scientific data file format
for
NASA, NOAA and other remote sensing missions.

There are huge communities of people that use this software. The HDF group
would like to use this opportunity to "experiment" with the Apache
Incubator
model after lots of prodding by people like me to get more scientific
projects
into Apache and to steward them here.

While this project may be specific it has the opportunity to grow into a
host
of other downstream, very useful tools and capabilities, and furthermore,
HDF Group
has a ton of other software that could be potentially stewarded at the
ASF, provided
this experiment is useful.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers,