Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Heine, Christian (Extern)" <Ch...@gedas.de> on 2002/11/27 12:58:04 UTC

It is possible to refresh Portlets ?

Hi all,

i try to develop an portlet which is usable like the windows explorer. For
that i create an AbstractPortlet and using the ECS to define the layout. The
problem i have is, that i am forced to use actions on the Elements (the
folder images).

To realize that actions i can't use real JAVA-Actions like the MouseListener
because they are ignored by the Turbine-Engine. Now i have tried to use
JAVA-Skript elements like onMouseOver to realize some actions. My idea is to
force jetspeed by this action to refresh the page, analyses the parameters
and repaint the table by using the parameters.

The refresh works, but only my portlet is not refreshed and i got the
following exception message where my portlet is:

org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering Velocity template:
/controls/html/jetspeed.vm: Invocation of method 'getContent' in class
org.apache.jetspeed.portal.security.portlets.CacheableStatefulPortletWrapper
threw exception class java.util.NoSuchElementException : null

Where is my failure? Knows anybody a solution or a better way to realize
actions (perhaps execute real java actions)? In every action i must read out
some parameters and repaint the explorer-Portlet by checking these params...

Thanks in advance
Christian

RE: Replcaing the default_top with vm and jsp

Posted by Javed Mahmud <jm...@it.uts.edu.au>.
Thanks Mark,
You are right that I m trying to use JSP as default teplate.
I was not sure about the fact that only one (either JSP or Velocity) can
be used as template at a time.
Second I have tried both velocity and JSP both without changing the
property u have mentioned here. So in theory the vm file should have
worked, but it didn't.

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Javed

> If what you're trying to do is to use JSP as the default template
> engine, then here's the entry in jr.props:
>
> services.TemplateService.default.extension=jsp
>
> If not, then please clarify your intentions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
> Jakarta Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

*---------------------------------------*
|Research Assistant                     |
|Building 10                            |
|Room 4405                              |
|Faculty of Information Technology      |
|Department of Computer Systems         |
|University of Technology Sydney        |
|Phone: 9514 4513                       |
|Mobile : 0413 607172                   |

RE: Replcaing the default_top with vm and jsp

Posted by Javed Mahmud <jm...@it.uts.edu.au>.
Hi Mark,
Apparently there was a bad entry in the JetSpeed Resources Properties
which was creating problem. I removed it and every thing was fine. And Yes
Either JSP or Velocity can be used for the templates as one of thenm can
be default template.

*---------------------------------------*

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.

RE: Customized Title Page

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

That will work

> Or is there some release version?

Or  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-jetspeed/nightly/

There is no version 1.4b2 release, yet.
The tutorial will be a part of the 1.4b2 release when its ready

RE: Customized Title Page

Posted by Javed Mahmud <jm...@it.uts.edu.au>.
Hi David,

*---------------------------------------*

RE: Customized Title Page

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Customized Title Page

Re: It is possible to refresh Portlets ?

Posted by Massimiliano Dessi <ma...@gruppoatlantis.com>.
In fact  the tag         <META HTTP-EQUIV=......
reload the entire page not a single portlet.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Massimiliano Dessi <ma...@gruppoatlantis.com>.
I put the string  <META HTTP-EQUIV=\"REFRESH\" CONTENT=0,01 >
in a get content of a portlet ,one time to force the refresh the
page,(content = specify the second after reload a page)
and remove in the the next  call to the portlet.
Use a flag to verify if the string has been put in the portlet one time, to
remove it at the second call.
Is' not a elegance method but it's the only that i found.

Excuse for my bad english.
Massimiliano Dessì

Fulcrum.properties Database entries

Posted by Javed Mahmud <jm...@it.uts.edu.au>.
hello,
I was wondering what is the use of entries for databse in
Fulcrum.properties file?
As we specify the Databse details in Torque.properties file.
Is there any special importance of specifying the details in
Fulcrum.properties file?

Thanks
Javed

Fulcrum.properties Database entries

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Dont recommend using ECS, try JSP or Velocity

> To realize that actions i can't use real JAVA-Actions like the
> MouseListener
> because they are ignored by the Turbine-Engine. Now i have tried to use
> JAVA-Skript elements like onMouseOver to realize some actions. My
> idea is to
> force jetspeed by this action to refresh the page, analyses the parameters
> and repaint the table by using the parameters.
>
> The refresh works, but only my portlet is not refreshed and i got the
> following exception message where my portlet is:
>
> org.apache.turbine.util.TurbineException: Error rendering
> Velocity template:
> /controls/html/jetspeed.vm: Invocation of method 'getContent' in class
> org.apache.jetspeed.portal.security.portlets.CacheableStatefulPort
> letWrapper
> threw exception class java.util.NoSuchElementException : null
>
> Where is my failure? Knows anybody a solution or a better way to realize
> actions (perhaps execute real java actions)? In every action i
> must read out
> some parameters and repaint the explorer-Portlet by checking
> these params...

I believe Struts has a tree view control.
This looks cool, not sure if its part of Jakarta Struts or add-on

http://struts.application-servers.com/tags/treeview.html

Do you know about Turbine actions in Jetspeed?
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/howto/action-event-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/fsd.html