Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Feng Lu <fe...@google.com.INVALID> on 2017/06/06 22:44:20 UTC

Adding airflow top-level label(s)

Hi,

Resource label/tag has gained increasing popularity, for example, both GCP
and AWS allow labels/tags to be attached to the cloud resources they
offered. I am wondering whether the airflow community is interested in
adding some default top-level airflow labels for all cloud resources that
support labeling, spawned from airflow. In other words, all operators
creating/using these resources will include the airflow labels (e.g.,
"airflow-version" : "1.8.1").

The benefits are twofold:
- enable measuring the impact of apache airflow quantitatively at different
places.
- allow users to better organize airflow triggered cloud resources.

These top-level labels will then be merged with user-provided labels
specified in the various operators (e.g.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/airflow/contrib/operators/dataproc_operator.py#L55
).

Thanks.

Feng