Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Leslie Hughes <Le...@watercorporation.com.au> on 2003/06/10 08:14:12 UTC

IndexWriter and Directory create param

Hi,

I'm doing something like:-

Directory dir = FSDirectory.getDirectory("myindex", true);
IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, myAnalyser, true);

which gives me a nice clean index. But what if the create params are
different? If I open a directory with create=false then create a writer on
it with create = true will this give problems? Maybe I should do something
like

boolean flag = true/false;
Directory dir = FSDirectory.getDirectory("myindex", flag);
IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, myAnalyser, false);

Whilst I'm on the subject, there doesn't appear to be a standard way of
creating a Directory, FSDir has a getDirectory whilst RAMDir uses a
constructor - shouldn't there be a standard method on the Directory
interface (like there is with close)? Or maybe a configurable
DirectoryFactory?

Ideas?

Bye

Les

Re: IndexWriter and Directory create param

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Les,

> Directory dir = FSDirectory.getDirectory("myindex", true);
> IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, myAnalyser, true);
>
> which gives me a nice clean index. But what if the create params are
> different? If I open a directory with create=false then create a
> writer on it with create = true will this give problems?

If I understand you correctly, then the answer is: no, this should not
cause problems.  You could easily try that, no?

> Maybe I should do something like
>
> boolean flag = true/false;
> Directory dir = FSDirectory.getDirectory("myindex", flag);
> IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, myAnalyser, false);

I've seen people use code like that.

> Whilst I'm on the subject, there doesn't appear to be a standard way
> of creating a Directory, FSDir has a getDirectory whilst RAMDir uses
> constructor - shouldn't there be a standard method on the Directory
> interface (like there is with close)? Or maybe a configurable
> DirectoryFactory?

Perhaps.  Directory is an abstract class.  One could add an abstract
open(...) method, maybe.  I don't have a need for it...

Otis