Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1997/03/24 22:43:20 UTC

Re: Apache and byteserving PDF files (fwd)

>I understand that you included some code in Apache 1.2b7 and later to
>handle the byteserving (byte range serving) in a way that will work with
>Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) 3.0 and our Acrobat Reader 3.0 ActiveX
>control.  Do you do this only if the browser is MSIE 3.0 or if it is MSIE
>3.0 OR LATER?

"MSIE 3".

>Since this problem may occur with later versions of MSIE 3.0 if the user
>continues to use Acrobat Reader 3.0, I strongly urge you to do this if the
>browser is MSIE 3.0 OR LATER.

No thanks.  I strongly urge you to release a new version of your plug-in
for MSIE before Microsoft finishes MSIE 4, because the old one won't work.
I don't believe in sustaining protocol bugs forever.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/