Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tom Emerson <os...@pacbell.net> on 2004/08/19 07:40:15 UTC

Getting white/black lists from other programs...

My dad runs Norton anti-spam locally on his system.  I'm running spamassassin
"as a service" to him to pre-filter messages -- he tells me it is catching
90% [or, conversely, norton seems to only catch another 10%] of the spam
overall.

In any case, he has built up a moderate sized white-list and black-list within
norton, but he'd like to have it done by SA instead -- is it possible to
extract norton's lists in a way suitable to include within SA?

I had him try to search for "files containing..." one of his list items,
hoping to find a config or .ini file or similar that stored this information,
but either it is encoded [non-ascii] or he didn't do the search right because
he came up with no matching files.

Re: Getting white/black lists from other programs...

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Norton (AV, at least) seems to be storing things in

documents and settings\<user>\application data\symantec\<various places>

Its unlikely to be an ini file, since Norton tends to be cryptic/obtuse.
But there is a good chance it is in that general area somewhere.

        Loren

Re: Getting white/black lists from other programs...

Posted by Duncan Hill <sa...@nacnud.force9.co.uk>.
On Thursday 19 August 2004 06:40, Tom Emerson wrote:

> In any case, he has built up a moderate sized white-list and black-list
> within norton, but he'd like to have it done by SA instead -- is it
> possible to extract norton's lists in a way suitable to include within SA?

Check the registry :>  If it's not in a file, they've probably stuck it in the
registry instead.