Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Aniket Bhatnagar <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/06 13:06:55 UTC

Improvement proposal | Dynamic disk allocation

Hello

Dynamic allocation feature allows you to add executors and scale
computation power. This is great, however, I feel like we also need a way
to dynamically scale storage. Currently, if the disk is not able to hold
the spilled/shuffle data, the job is aborted causing frustration and loss
of time. In deployments like AWS EMR, it is possible to run an agent that
add disks on the fly if it sees that the disks are running out of space and
it would be great if Spark could immediately start using the added disks
just as it does when new executors are added.

Thanks,
Aniket

Re: Improvement proposal | Dynamic disk allocation

Posted by Aniket Bhatnagar <an...@gmail.com>.
If people agree that is desired, I am willing to submit a SIP for this and
find time to work on it.

Thanks,
Aniket