Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Iain Fogg <ia...@westnet.com.au> on 2006/09/14 16:45:23 UTC

Tax and Geo Ids

Hi all,

I continue to play around with the sales tax/vat/gst features of ofbiz,
and would appreciate some advice...

I'm trying to configure my Tax Authorities to handle GST while
minimising the excessive verbiage on some of the order screens. It is
pretty straightforward to configure GST (since it is practically
identical to VAT). However...

If I set my GST Tax Authority up with a specific Geo Id (eg, USA), when
I create a sales order it will display lots of verbiage in the order
items (Adjustment type, jurisdiction, rate, etc). I had a quick look at
the code, and if the Geo Id is not set, some of this stuff is omitted
(which is good). If I set up my TA with a Geo Id of _NA_, seemingly
strange things happen:

1) My sales order no longer calculates a GST (VAT) tax adjustment at all
2) Yet when I browse the catalog to add items to the cart for the order,
GST-inclusive the prices displayed are including the GST

So browsing is quite happy with my TA Geo Id being _NA_, but ordering
isn't. (2) is VERY good - (1) is not so good. I presume it is simply
because the order is for a particular customer (who is in a defined
location), and this doesn't match the Geo Id of the TA? Is there
anything I can do about that? I want to minimise (read completely avoid)
customisation of components if I can get away with a workable solution
that leverages what's there.

Summary...is there some way for me to set up my TA so I get all the
benefits of the VAT processing, but eliminate some of the adjustment
verbiage?

Cheers, Iain