Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2009/11/14 15:58:36 UTC

Re: Synchronisation issues

From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>
>> But before that I'd be interested to have some opinions by people who
>> are using load balancers. Notably Brett who recently answered about this
>> subject on user ML. Because I wonder why Philippe was the 1st to
>> discover theses issues and if others have fixed them in another way.
>
> Using synchronization can cause deadlocks.  If you do not *fully*
> control *all* code that is run under synchronization, then a deadlock
> can occur.

I agree, synchronization is tricky. BTW, what to you think about r751619 ? Here is a remark about it
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2186?focusedCommentId=12680105&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12680105

> If you call some other library, and said library is extensible, such
> that it might end up calling *back* into your code, you *will* deadlock.

I agree, but I don't think it concerns this problem (I checked the Call Hierarchy)

> Non-blocking algorythms don't have this problem, because they retry in
> these cases.

Sure, but a problem appeared here, it's well explained at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2124 and they propose a fix
that works.
It's not the 1st time this kind of problem appears. We have an opportunity to try a fix, this is the pragmatic reason of this
message. What make me worry is that I'm sure there are other sites at least as much "big" as the one Philippe speaks about (but it's
true it's a big one, at least in OFBiz world).

Others opinions ?

Jacques

Re: Synchronisation issues

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Pierre,

Thanks for you encouragements.

All,

I haven't close yet https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2124  because hopefully Philippe will submit a patch for R4.0 (I
know this project used R4, and I guess it still do)

There is still a related issue opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2186
>From Philippe informations I'd like to commit this patch also. I will do soon, except if someone see really something bad in it.
It's about possible synchronisation slowness, but as they checked it seriously (see last comment) I'm quite sure we can trust them.

Jacques

From: "pierre" <pi...@nereide.biz>

Re: Synchronisation issues

Posted by pierre <pi...@nereide.biz>.