Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Charles Crouch <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/09 00:06:14 UTC

[configuration] referencing properties across files bug/feature?

Thanks for the reply Eric.
I read through
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/examples.html?
but it didn't seem to address the variable interpolation/substitution
issue that I described in my post below. I definitely need some sort of
override behaviour but the examples say that the <override> tags are
optional, so I think the syntax of my propertiesConfiguration.xml is
correct.

I also got HEAD from cvs on Friday and ran my testcase again, still
behaves as I described below.

Any further thoughts about what I can do/look at?
Thanks
Charles

From: Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>
Subject: [configuration] referencing properties across files bug/feature?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:31:38 +0100

Did you read the section here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/examples.html?

The latest version has been reworked to make overrides simpler to do.  Here
is the guts:

<configuration>
  <override>
    <properties fileName="usergui.properties"/>
    <dom4j fileName="gui.xml"/>
  </override>

  <additional>
    <dom4j
className="org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration"
     fileName="tables.xml"/>
    <dom4j
className="org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration"
     fileName="tasktables.xml" at="tables"/>
  </additional>
</configuration>

Notice the <override> versus <additional>?

Also, check out one of the nightly builds from here:
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-configuration/.

Eric

RE: [configuration] referencing properties across files bug/feature?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Could you post a bug and attach your testcase?  Boil the testcase down to
the simplest possible, and we'll add it to the c-configuration test suite..

Eric