Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Michele Girolami <Mi...@isti.cnr.it> on 2011/04/29 11:11:35 UTC

Discover ZooKeper URL

HI all,

I started using ZooKeeper few weeks ago... I was wondering if ZooKeper implements such a mechanism in order to let the clients discover the ZooKeper URL. In other world I'd like to implements a ZooKeeper client without specify the ZooKeeper URL, but discover the URL dynamically. I've taken a look at all the ZooKeeper documentation but I didn't found such a configuration.

Thank you for your precious comments.

Regards.

--michele

Re: Discover ZooKeper URL

Posted by Vishal Kher <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michele,

There have been discussions in the past about using a URL/IP address to
discover server configuration. See ZOOKEEPER-146 and ZOOKEEPER-1031 that are
considered as a part of ZOOKEEPER-107. But you seem to be proposing a scheme
where a client will discover a URL.

What is this URL used for? What is the information available to the client
before initiating the discovery protocol? Can you elaborate more on the use
case?

Thanks.
-Vishal