Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Xintong Song <to...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/17 12:31:41 UTC

[Discuss] Update the pull request description template.

Hi all,

It seems our PR description template is a bit outdated, and I would like to
propose updating it.

I was working on a Kubernetes related PR, and realized that our PR
description does not mention the new Kubernetes integration questioning
about deployment related changes. Currently is is as follows:

> Anything that affects deployment or recovery: JobManager (and its
> components), Checkpointing, Yarn/Mesos, ZooKeeper:

In addition to outdated contents, there might be other stuff that we want
to add to the template. For example, I would suggest add a question about
whether there are any memory allocation introduced by the PR, so we review
them carefully and avoid problems due to un-accounted memory allocations
like FLINK-15981. (To be fair, for FLINK-15981 the memory allocation was
introduced before we start to account for everything memory usage, but
noticing such memory allocations early should help us prevent similar
problems in the future).

Therefore, I'd also like to collect ideas on how do you think the template
should be updated in this discussion thread.

Looking forward to your feedback~!

Thank you~

Xintong Song

Re: [Discuss] Update the pull request description template.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for kicking off the discussion and opinions so far.

I'd like to share two of my coins.

1. Often I check the item list when review a non-trivial pull request and I
think it
works for some specific topics, such as document coverage, general
description
and test coverage description.

2. We always have a checklist which attach later by flink-bot that has some
overlaps
of the item list in pull request template. It would be a good topic how we
integrate
these two list. Maybe we don't just merge them but properly reorder items
so that
attentions can be applied gradually(for example, most of pull request is
unrelated to
per record codepath, but for those are, it is important to emphasize).

Best,
tison.

Zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.invalid> 于2020年2月21日周五 下午11:52写道:

From:Yangze Guo <ka...@gmail.com>