Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/11 10:25:12 UTC

Wiki or website for doc?

Where should we be doing documentation for the M2 release function? I'd
started doing Anakia xml for the Tuscany website, but the DAS guys are using
the wiki, does this matter, should we try to be consistent? I think the
website is a better place for this type of thing, but its probably easier to
be using wiki.

   ...ant

Re: Wiki or website for doc?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I'd agree that wiki is a good place for collaboration and the development of
this place of documentation too. But I just want to make sure that we use
the website to have some kind of high level information, and also somewhat
detailed first steps to get people going, we could take as an example what
is available for DAS :

   High Level : http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/das_index.html

   Java Overview :
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/java_das_overview.html

And then, what DAS has available in the Wiki :

   User Guide :
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/DAS_Java_Overview/RDBDAS_Java_User_Guide

- Luciano Resende

Re: Wiki or website for doc?

Posted by Oisin Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.
> I think the wiki is the best place for development of this type of
> documentation.  It is so easy to update that I hope it will
> "invite" others to participate.  I also like Venkat's idea to
> snapshot content developed on the wiki to include in a milestone
> distribution.

Just a point on this one - wiki is a good place to do stuff, easy to
update, etc,
but it's important to remember that it does not lend itself naturally
to the
provision of docs that follow the 'usual' table-of-contents style
approach we
see in tech docs -- instead it is more bazaar than cathedral. So - if
you have
a vision of producing 'natural' PDF docs for offline use, then one
needs must
layer some behaviour on the wiki editing, like keeping a toc up to
date etc.

  cheers
   --oh

----
+353 1 637 2639
http://blogs.iona.com/ohurley

Re: Wiki or website for doc?

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
I was looking at the Java SDO wiki...
there is a lot of overlap between the web site and the wiki... should we
clean up the wiki and link to the web site where appropriate (get rid of the
duplication) ?

Thanks in advance
Dan

Re: Wiki or website for doc?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I would like to contribute the documentation I am developing to the
wiki so that it can be harvested.  I am currently writing basic
documentation on how to install and run Tuscany applications.

   Simon

Re: Wiki or website for doc?

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.

Re: Wiki or website for doc?