Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2013/08/06 15:02:55 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New way for releases scheduling

Hi,

For some days now, I was thinking about a "new way of releasing" (only schedule related). I thought about it while looking by chance at release strategies of few other Apache projects. Notably how they plan things...

Today, a reminder poped up for the "End of month: Main New Features" mail I send every end of month. I believe there were not much, if any, main new features last month, but it reminded me about the ideas I had on releases scheduling.

My proposition is to not release each year but every 2 or, preferred, 3 years. Here are the reasons:

1) There are less and less new features, so there are less needs to distribute often (ie every year)
2) Security and bug fixes can still be done with new minor releases
3) Users can still grab new features they want from trunk as long as they are well documented in main new feature page (maybe we should add there the revs #)

PROS:
* This has the obvious advantage of removing some release burden (mostly done by Jacopo these days, thanks to him)
* But not only, it's also easier for users. Because moving from one release to the other each year is not very easy for a project. For some project it takes sometimes a year, if not more, to stabilize. And moving from an older release is even harder (see for instance recent Skip's from 9 to 12 experience)
* If they want new stuff they can always use trunk. I believe people are now more interested in stability and security than new features; because OFBiz is mature.
* We will more follow how most Apache projects evolve (most don't do major releases each year). And it should be easier to plan things (something we really lack, something users can refer to), like some other Apache projects do.
* Since we decided to let alive only the 3 last releases, this would greatly increase the  releases life span...
* Because we decided to remove specialpurpose from releases, new components should not be a problem (this suppose no new applications level components, but anyway read below about this convention)

CONS:
* Less features each year, need to wait more for that, but anyway still availabe from trunk

I can't see anything else, I must miss some CONS points :).

What do you think? Of course this would not be set  in stone. If a major new feature needs to be released, the convention could be left aside for a new major release.

Jacques

Re: [PROPOSAL] New way for releases scheduling

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Jacques:
For what it is worth: Best OFBiz proposal I've heard in a long time!
Ruth

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mmm... dont misunserstand me, of course if in 1 year there is/are major/s new (unplanned) feature/s then releasing will make sense. Sincerely, due to the declining activity, I don't expect such thing, but of course... as ever, you never know...

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.