Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/15 21:23:55 UTC

Javac server?

Hey folks,
I had never heard about this javac server before
https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/139

Is there any way we can exploit it in order to speed up the build?
Is it enough to execute javac tool inside the same JVM of Maven core to get
the same results?

Do anyone have experience with it?

Enrico

Re: Javac server?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
No experience with it but from profilings I did on maven, compilation is
not that expensive compared to plugin setup in most projects so maven
shell/daemon or so are likely a first step which can be more interesting in
terms of overall perf (then this server can be the next step).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Javac server?

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
The server makes sense when you want to have an incremental compiler.
We talked about it with Robert at the ASF conference 5 years ago.
If the server is tracing every change of your workspace (repo url, hash,
branch) and the list of sources too, then you can speed up the compiler.

Re: Javac server?

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Il Lun 16 Nov 2020, 20:13 Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> It is still on my wishlist to make use of javac via the ToolProvider, just
> like now is done with jlink.[1]

This approach would also probably fix the issue with JDK16 and -Xdoclink
that I pointed out recently

Enrico

But this one might be interesting too.

Re: Javac server?