Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Mark Eggers <md...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/08 00:03:59 UTC

Getting started

I'm getting started with portlets, and am having a bit of a challenge.

Environment:

OS:     Fedora 13 linux (latest Fedora kernel)
Java:   Sun/Oracle 1.6.0_21 32 bit
Tomcat: 6.0.29 from tomcat.apache.org
IDE:    NetBeans 6.9.1 with Portal Pack 3.0.4
Maven:  2.2.1 from maven.apache.org

The pluto user and role have been added to
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml

The necessary libraries have been added to $CATALINA_HOME/lib

pluto-container-api-2.0.2.jar
pluto-container-driver-api-2.0.2.jar
pluto-taglib-2.0.2.jar
portlet-api_2.0_spec-1.0.jar
ccpp-1.0.jar

Pluto runs fine at localhost:8080/pluto/portal

I used the pom.xml file from
http://portals.apache.org/pluto/v20/deploying.html and modified it
slightly to generate a HelloPluto.war package. I basically upped the
versions to those supported by Tomcat 6.0.29, added the JSR 286 taglib as
provided, and JSTL 1.1.2.

The war file built cleanly, and the Pluto modifications seem to be added
to web.xml appropriately.

I was able to deploy the war file to Tomcat, and the Pluto portal saw the
the portlet.

I created a new page (HelloPluto), and added the portlet to that page.
The new page and the portlet show up.

Unfortunately, the various portlet-modes don't seem to work. VIEW works,
but selecting HELP or EDIT causes the page to flicker and then the portlet
returns to the VIEW portlet-mode. Maximize causes the portlet to
disappear completely from the page, and minimize does nothing.

The code works as expected in Sun/Oracle's Open Portal portlet-container.
I don't see any obvious differences between my simple HelloPluto.java
class and the supplied AboutPortlet.java class.

There's obviously something I'm missing here.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

Re: Getting started

Posted by Mark Eggers <md...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 22:03:59 +0000, Mark Eggers wrote:

> I'm getting started with portlets, and am having a bit of a challenge.
> I created a new page (HelloPluto), and added the portlet to that page.
> The new page and the portlet show up.
>
> Unfortunately, the various portlet-modes don't seem to work. VIEW works,
> but selecting HELP or EDIT causes the page to flicker and then the
> portlet returns to the VIEW portlet-mode. Maximize causes the portlet to
> disappear completely from the page, and minimize does nothing.

All modes appear to work if I add a permanent page to Pluto:

In pluto-portal-driver-config.xml, I added:

<page name="Pluto Hello" uri="/WEB-INF/themes/pluto-default-theme.jsp">
  <portlet context="/HelloPluto" name="HelloPluto"/>
  <portlet context="/HelloPluto" name="HelloWorld"/>
</page>

since I have two portlets in this particular war file. Now all modes work
as expected, as well as minimize and maximize.

This is a bit different than the documentation. I'll have to look at the
source and see if part of the code still refers to the
fragmets/portlet.jsp file (which no longer exists).

Maybe it's time to update that portion of the web site?

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/