Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/28 20:23:19 UTC

CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

I'm curious if we use a CLA for contributions to the phonegap-plugins
repo.  I realize that we currently have no "callback-plugins" analogue
of that GitHub repo, and I suppose that's on purpose.  Should I be
asking this question somewhere else?  In lieu of somewhere else, I
figured I'd ask here.
I'm in a position to merge the following pull request - beyond
technical issues with the request, I'm wondering about non-technical
issues with the request, like CLAs.
   https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/pull/252
--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
> Something to think about ... later.  :-)

+++1

// last time I use the over enthusiastic triple increment operator, promise

Re: CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 19:51, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 28 November 2011 19:32, Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We've never required folks to sign a CLA for the plugins repo. In some
>> cases I can definitely see where we might want this.
>
> Is this a repo that you plan to bring into the ASF or will it be
> non-official contributed materials housed outside the ASF?

I suspect it will be a lot of work to deal with the existing
phonegap-plugins repository, given the wild west nature of it (a lot
of contributors, no CLAs in place, etc).  So I think this answer is
"there is no plan to bring it into the ASF".

I could see us having an official Apache version of something like the
current phonegap-plugins repo, as a sort of an "incubator" for future
"official" plugins.  With proper CLAs, committers, workflows, etc.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
On 11-11-28 4:51 PM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

>On 28 November 2011 19:32, Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> We've never required folks to sign a CLA for the plugins repo. In some
>> cases I can definitely see where we might want this.
>
>Is this a repo that you plan to bring into the ASF or will it be
>non-official contributed materials housed outside the ASF?
>
>Ross

I don't think so but maybe others can correct me. It's a mix of of code
from people ranging from CLA signees to random third parties.

Re: CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 17:40, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> Yeah, it was always considered the 'wild west' repo. Good candidates
> for future APIs roll out of there but no plan to make a canonical
> plugins repo -- in fact, in the future, I'd like to see an federated
> system for discovery in the spirit of npmjs style registery (or cpan,
> rubygems, pypi, deb, etc).
>
> need to sort out package validation and then installation first.

Agree it's not really a hot topic, I was just curious what the current
process was.

And it turns out someone else merged the pull request I referenced
above anyway :-)

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>(this post might sound like a broken record to some)

Discoverability! Complete CLI interface! Packaging! Flying elephants!

;)

Re: CLAs for GitHub phonegap/phonegap-plugins?

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Yeah, it was always considered the 'wild west' repo. Good candidates
for future APIs roll out of there but no plan to make a canonical
plugins repo -- in fact, in the future, I'd like to see an federated
system for discovery in the spirit of npmjs style registery (or cpan,
rubygems, pypi, deb, etc).

need to sort out package validation and then installation first.

(this post might sound like a broken record to some)

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.