Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2012/01/15 18:00:18 UTC

Re: Parking Projects [WAS Re: -1 on this months board report (was: Small but otherwise happy podlings)]

Joe Schaefer wrote on Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 08:48:02 -0800:
> Why do we need these obscure notions to characterize a failed incubation
> effort?  Can't we be adults and say it simply didn't work out, no
> harm no foul, best of luck in your future endeavors elsewhere?
> I sure hope we aren't going to get into the business of promising
> zombie projects a perpetual home in the incubator.

For that to work we should be able to make a (public) distinction
between projects that failed to graduate due to 'negative' reasons
(say: having dev discussions off-list) and for 'non-positive' reasons
(say: failed to maintain 3 active PMCers).

And clarify if/how projects that were leaved may ask to reenter.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
I think the email trail will be fairly clear one way
or the other, and hence still oppose adding more labels
to the situation.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
You didn't annoy me Benson, I think you're spot on, +1.

Cheers,
Chris

On Jan 15, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> I would appreciate it if the participants in this discussion would be
> really clear about their views about several different podling
> profiles.
>
> a: A reasonably diverse group of 5-7 people start a podling. A year
> later, they've made a release or two, but no one new has turned up.
> Mentors attest to good community behavior, openness to patches -- just
> no one who has done enough to be added to the group. In other words,
> all good as a prospective TLP except that they've never been through
> the process of adding someone.
>
> b: A group of 3-4, otherwise the same as (a). Thus, a risk of falling
> below critical mass.
>
> c: not even enough people to be a TLP by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> I would say, with all respect to Ant, that the Foundation clearly has
> not put the IPMC in the business of hosting tiny projects like (c).
> The term 'failure' applies after some period of time. If folks wish
> that the foundation had a place for such a project, I would submit
> that this would be a discussion to have with the board as to what that
> place might be and how it might work. Otherwise, Joe's views seem
> entirely on point.
>
> I think that it would be a good idea to emphasize in the discussion of
> prospective podlings with small initial groups. If it's really clear
> from the outset that a failure to grow in 12 months or so will mean an
> exit, then it will be easier on everyone.
>
> I know that some people feel that (a) podlings can just graduate,
> period. If there are people who disagree, I'd like to know, because it
> will allow me to give better advice to Accumulo.
>
> If I sadly succeed in merely annoying anyone with this post, I'll set
> my go-away timer for several weeks.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Parking Projects [WAS Re: -1 on this months board report (was: Small but otherwise happy podlings)]

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>wrote:

> Joe Schaefer wrote on Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 08:48:02 -0800:
> > Why do we need these obscure notions to characterize a failed incubation
> > effort?  Can't we be adults and say it simply didn't work out, no
> > harm no foul, best of luck in your future endeavors elsewhere?
> > I sure hope we aren't going to get into the business of promising
> > zombie projects a perpetual home in the incubator.
> >

> For that to work we should be able to make a (public) distinction
> between projects that failed to graduate due to 'negative' reasons
> (say: having dev discussions off-list) and for 'non-positive' reasons
> (say: failed to maintain 3 active PMCers).
>
> And clarify if/how projects that were leaved may ask to reenter.

+1 The idea needs more details for sure IMHO, but I like the base line of
it.

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----