Posted to user@shale.apache.org by Adrian Gonzalez <ad...@yahoo.fr> on 2007/02/02 17:18:55 UTC

which IDE are you using for JSF ?

Hello,

Is there a good IDE (drag and drop and autocompletion for EL expressions and tags) for facelets or Clay technology ?

What IDE are you using to create JSF apps ?

My current purpose is to see if one can use JSF for mainstream development (developers with little
experience in Java / web technologies), so drag & drop,
autocompletion would be a must - the company has currently developed ~100 web apps.

Seeking advice on the trinidad user list, I've been given pointers to use facelets or shale Clay, to really AVOID JSP for rendering, and to ask to this mailing list (thanks Gary for the tip !), since there's a lot of knowledgeable people (such as Ryan Wynn ;)).

I'm just using IBM RAD 6, and it's quite difficult (ibm proprietary components, JSF 1.0, JSP...) - I've integrated myfaces on it, simulating dummy ibm components - since IBM's are tied to SUN RI, but it's doesn't appear to be a good solution even if it's working.

Thanks

P.S. sorry this question is not really a Shale question

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com

Re: which IDE are you using for JSF ?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
We are using NetBeans with the mevenide plugin for maven support.  We are
also using Facelets and the new Facelets Netbeans plugin.  That gives us
autocomplete but not drag & drop (I don't think).  Seems to be working
great.  On a team of 5 two were PHP types before this project and one other
had some experience in Java.  The other two of us are pretty experienced
Java programmers and helped bring the others along.

Greg

Re: which IDE are you using for JSF ?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 2/2/07, Adrian Gonzalez <ad...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a good IDE (drag and drop and autocompletion for EL expressions
> and tags) for facelets or Clay technology ?
>
> What IDE are you using to create JSF apps ?

NetBeans has out-of-the-box support for autocompletion of EL expressions in
a JSP page.  For facelets, there is a fairly new plugin[1] that I haven't
tried yet, but is worth checking out.

(By the way, and it's definitely not ready for prime time yet, I also just
started a NetBeans plugin project for general Shale support[2].  Anyone who
wants to contribute Clay related editing, or any other Shale features, for
NB is welcome to join!)

Craig

[1] https://nbfaceletssupport.dev.java.net
[2] https://nbshalesupport.dev.java.net

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Adrian,
I use Eclipse with MyEclipse.  As to you need for "drag and drop and
autocompletion for EL expressions and tags", that will be a challenge.
MyEclipse does offer some autocompete and validation, but when you are
using new release of MyFaces/Shale/... taglibs the IDE can lag behind.

Paul Spencer