Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on 2005/06/07 17:37:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Encountering compile problems installing version 2.0.54 on HP-UX

Hi;

Just to nail the coffin closed so to speak...  Both the previous
posters' memories are correct - you definitely have to either a) buy
HP's ANSI C compiler:

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,1857,00.html

or b) install gcc as an earlier poster mentioned.  The bundled compiler
is only for kernel builds and is pretty much useless for anything such
as Apache, SSL, LDAP, what have you...  Heck, it won't even build gcc
:-(

Unless you are expecting to do may more compiles of other HP software,
the HP product will prove to both be more expensive and require more
effort, particularly because everyone posting recipes and descriptions
assume that when the word "UNIX" is mentioned that it means "Linux";
HP's compiler flags and options are different in a lot of cases.

Summary - you'll probably be happier in the long run with gcc.

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams                  "There are two things to aim for in life;
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       first, to get what you want; and after that,