Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by onin <jn...@mobius.ph> on 2006/06/21 14:41:11 UTC

[users@httpd] mpm on php

hi all!

i've installed php5 and apache2 on a winxp os.

after reading the php install file.
there's paragraph like this:
---------
We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use
the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1. For information on why, read
the related FAQ entry on using Apache2 with a threaded MPM
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>
---------
how can i check what kind of mpm im currently using?
and how can i configure my apache to use prefork MPM?

thanks in advance

Re: [users@httpd] mpm on php

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:14:53PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Of course some of us have been using it for those 6 years in worker mode,
>> but I wouldn't expect that caviat emptor to disappear anytime soon.  The
>> more things change...
>
> I wonder will they ever point out the same thing exists in the Aolserver
> support though ;-)

Or for that matter, with respect to win32 binary distribution,

"(CGI binary plus server API versions for Apache, Apache2 (experimental), ISAPI,
NSAPI, Servlet and Pi3Web.)"

So I guess the whole thread is very silly when discussing Win32 Apache2 PHP, if
threaded is a recommended configuration :-?

Oh - this may have been triggered by building without --enable-zts which might
actually be a bad thing.  Unsure, it's been too long.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] mpm on php

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] mpm on php

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 6/21/06, onin <jn...@mobius.ph> wrote:
>>
>> there's paragraph like this:
>> ---------
>> We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use
>> the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1. For information on why, read
>> the related FAQ entry on using Apache2 with a threaded MPM
>> <http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>
>
> On windows, you have no choice.  The mpm is always threaded (and was
> even in 1.3).  This makes the warning above pretty absurd.  (Although,
> in its defense, I'm sure the php people would point out that the big
> problem with php and threaded servers are non-thread-safe libraries,
> and the libraries people use on win32 are more likely be to be
> thread-safe than the typical unix stuff.)

And they have been saying this since, oh, 2000?  In 6 years, ya suppose a few
of those library authors have fixed their code to be thread safe?  Most modern
apps and new development use threads, especially if they target solaris.  Even
Java itself has been threaded far longer than Apache httpd.

For the most part you can -ignore- this error if you have a modern system.
That's not an absolute truth, but close enough for government work.

Re: [users@httpd] mpm on php

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/21/06, onin <jn...@mobius.ph> wrote:
> hi all!
>
> i've installed php5 and apache2 on a winxp os.
>
> after reading the php install file.
> there's paragraph like this:
> ---------
> We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use
> the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1. For information on why, read
> the related FAQ entry on using Apache2 with a threaded MPM
> <http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>
> ---------
> how can i check what kind of mpm im currently using?
> and how can i configure my apache to use prefork MPM?

On windows, you have no choice.  The mpm is always threaded (and was
even in 1.3).  This makes the warning above pretty absurd.  (Although,
in its defense, I'm sure the php people would point out that the big
problem with php and threaded servers are non-thread-safe libraries,
and the libraries people use on win32 are more likely be to be
thread-safe than the typical unix stuff.)

Joshua.