Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Reinout Verkerk <rv...@hotmail.com> on 2001/03/05 19:05:40 UTC

Dutch(NL) hyphenation pattern

Hi all,

The readme in de hyph dir of Fop-017 said that you guys could use
hyphenantion patters for alternative languages.
I created a Dutch one from standard TeX.
Specs:
PURPOSE: 8-bit hyphenation patterns based upon the new Dutch spelling,
officially since 1 August 1996. These patterns follow the new hyphenation
rules in the `Woordenlijst Nederlandse Taal, SDU Uitgevers, Den Haag 1995'
(the so called `Groene Boekje') described in section 5.2 (Het afbreekteken).
Also handles words derived from other languages (`bastaard woorden')
according to the new rules

Original (TeX) author: Piet Tutelaers
Transformed to Fop hyphen XML by: Reinout Verkerk (rverkerk@hotmail.com)

Original Lisence Information:
This program can be redistributed and/or modified under the terms
of the LaTeX Project Public License Distributed from CTAN
archives in directory macros/latex/base/lppl.txt;

Re: Dutch(NL) hyphenation pattern

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscope.co.jp>.
Reinout Verkerk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The readme in de hyph dir of Fop-017 said that you guys could use
> hyphenantion patters for alternative languages.
> I created a Dutch one from standard TeX.

I have done some corrections to the nl.xml file. It looks like TeX
hexadecimal escape sequences (e.g. ^^e9) were not converted to
iso-latin-1. I did the convertion and added all those accented
characters to the <classes> section, so they are treated as proper word
characters. As it was, I think it didn't hyphenate words that contain
any accented letters and may have produced wrong hyphens in other words.
If somebody that knows Dutch can test it, specially to verify that words
with accented letters are hyphenated. I have attached the complete file
rather than a patch, in case somebody wants to test it first.
Dutch seems to be quite difficult to hyphenate, the pattern file is the
largest so far!

Cheers,

Carlos Villegas

Re: Dutch(NL) hyphenation pattern

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
Thanks, I will commit this. Do have a paragraph or two of Dutch
text for our hyphenation text file?

Fotis

Send reply to:  	fop-dev@xml.apache.org
From:           	"Reinout Verkerk" <rv...@hotmail.com>