Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Thomas Rummel <Th...@softing.com> on 2002/01/07 09:55:24 UTC

COM Threading Model of COM binding (xerces-com)

Hi,

I'm want to use the Xerces COM wrapper (xerces-com) as replacement for the
MSXML parser.
During my tests I encoutered difficulties with the COM threading model used
by xerces-com.

xerces-com supports only appartment threaded applications (COM STA) but
MSXML supports
free and appartment threaded applications (COM STA and COM MTA). This leads
to a
very bad performance if xerces-com is used in an COM MTA application like in
my case
(each method call causes a marshaling between to threads of the
application).

Does someone know the reason for the "only COM STA" restriction?

I've made some minor changes to get xerces-com running in a COM MTA thread
without
marshaling. With my application this xerces-com seems to work without any
problem.

Thanks, Tom