Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/10 01:54:16 UTC

When Upgrading to 2.2...

I have a 2.1 based app and I am considering moving to 2.2 eventually and I am trying to determine the upgrade issues.

What are the system requirements for 2.2?
What component versions must I be concerned about?
What happens to my actions built for 2.1?

I looked for this info on the site but couldn't find it. If you could direct me to the page or docs. that would be great also.

Thanks

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: When Upgrading to 2.2...

Posted by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for your response.

This app. was written very early on, so I never implemented Cocoon Forms, Authentication, etc.

The application makes use of the session transformer, sql transformer, and built in modular database actions.

I've had experiences in upgrading where certain components have been deprecated, changed, or renamed so I wanted to get a heads up on what to look out for or what upgrading issues I should be concerned with.

Thanks again for your suggestions, your help, and your responses.

Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> wrote: Bruce Perryman pisze:
> I have a 2.1 based app and I am considering moving to 2.2 eventually and
> I am trying to determine the upgrade issues.
>
> What are the system requirements for 2.2?

Java 1.4 (but 1.5+ is recommended), Servlet container compatible with Servlet 2.4 specification.

Optional dependency is Maven (verion 2.0.6+) used for building and deploying your application. You
can use other toolkits of course but Maven integration offers a lot of facilities when it comes to
developing applications based on Cocoon.

> What component versions must I be concerned about?

I don't understand this question, could you elaborate a little?

> What happens to my actions built for 2.1?

All custom components developed for 2.1 should work very well in 2.2. Only some minor changes to
configuration could be needed.

> I looked for this info on the site but couldn't find it. If you could
> direct me to the page or docs. that would be great also.

It would be great if you could tell us which blocks (and components) you are using. For example, do
you use Cocoon Forms or Database components (like SQLTransformer)?

For a start I would suggest to follow these tutorials:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1159_1_1.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1291_1_1.html

and then at this page:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/1263_1_1.html
(it points to the directory where you would need to put configuration of your custom components)

I hope that it helps a little bit.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: When Upgrading to 2.2...