Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/09 17:14:54 UTC

organizing docs

we like couchdb but the most frustrating part of trying to use it is the
poor state of documentation (this is not a criticism, just how we find
the current state) - there are some docs but they are scattered all over
the place and hard to follow or find.  (ie we are trying to find any
docs or tuts on the security features as of 1.20 - cannot find it aside
from the "what's new" notes and the security chapter in the definitive
guide based on 0.11)

how can we help to get this organized better ?  right now it does not
appear that any docs are downloaded with the source - what is the
"official" documentation ?  roadmap ?  there is a wiki, user guide, api
listing, the definitive guide book project, some good tutorials but
across various versions (especially on couch app, planet couch (which
seems non active), much good info in the users forum that could be
posted in docs, just a couple of brief posts on jquery.couch, .......
There is not even a menu button for documentation on the home page !

is there any sort of "team" for docs ?  if not, let's create one.  is
there an "official" place for any existing or new documentation ?  if
not, let's assign it or create it along with easy instructions on how to
contribute (contributions are sorely needed).

so a) I hope the "core" team can recognize/accept the fact the docs
needs lots of work and b) we are offering to help and I hope the core
team is willing to accept some outside help on this.

so if yes to both, first order is to create a docs team (that can make
decisions on what goes where, review contributions, ...) and then create
a docs roadmap

Re: organizing docs

Posted by Ladislav Thon <la...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, the CouchDB documentation that was originally created by Couchbase
is currently being imported to CouchDB proper. Last time I checked, this
documentation is very good, but I have no idea what version does it cover.

LT

Re: organizing docs

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 12 September 2012 15:19, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Noah
>
>  glad you like the idea of a docs team (it will let the core team
> concentrate on the db inner workings)

I'll be delighted, nay ecstatic, to help anybody who wants to get into this.

> I propose that we set a couple of menu buttons on the main page  - maybe as
> a start:
>
>   - docs
>     -- couchdb api docs (or whatever you are working on)
>     -- definitive guide
>     -- cookbook / snippets / how-tos (whatever it should be called)
>     -- 15 min database (or whatever)
>
>  - community
>     -- mail lists
>     -- tutorials (list of published tutorials)
>     -- sites / organizations using couchdb
>
>  - contributing
>     -- roadmap
>     -- how to contribute
>     -- bug / feature list
>     -- related projects (sofa, pouch, .....)
>

> On 09/09/2012 10:48 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> John, why don't you pop on over to dev@?
>>
>> We're on the cusp of getting docs into CouchDB proper. We've also talked
>> about teams. We only really have one team at the moment (the release team)
>> but a docs team would be fantastic.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM,
>> john.tiger<jo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> we like couchdb but the most frustrating part of trying to use it is the
>>> poor state of documentation (this is not a criticism, just how we find
>>> the
>>> current state) - there are some docs but they are scattered all over the
>>> place and hard to follow or find.  (ie we are trying to find any docs or
>>> tuts on the security features as of 1.20 - cannot find it aside from the
>>> "what's new" notes and the security chapter in the definitive guide based
>>> on 0.11)
>>>
>>> how can we help to get this organized better ?  right now it does not
>>> appear that any docs are downloaded with the source - what is the
>>> "official" documentation ?  roadmap ?  there is a wiki, user guide, api
>>> listing, the definitive guide book project, some good tutorials but
>>> across
>>> various versions (especially on couch app, planet couch (which seems non
>>> active), much good info in the users forum that could be posted in docs,
>>> just a couple of brief posts on jquery.couch, .......   There is not even
>>> menu button for documentation on the home page !
>>>
>>> is there any sort of "team" for docs ?  if not, let's create one.  is
>>> there an "official" place for any existing or new documentation ?  if
>>> not,
>>> let's assign it or create it along with easy instructions on how to
>>> contribute (contributions are sorely needed).
>>>
>>> so a) I hope the "core" team can recognize/accept the fact the docs needs
>>> lots of work and b) we are offering to help and I hope the core team is
>>> willing to accept some outside help on this.
>>>
>>> so if yes to both, first order is to create a docs team (that can make
>>> decisions on what goes where, review contributions, ...) and then create
>>> docs roadmap

Hi John,

Thanks for putting this out there. I missed this (holidays y'know) but
wanted to follow up. A number of people have been helping get the
Couchbase provided docs into our source tree now.

So Yes to all of the above, a huge yes! I'll be delighted to help
anybody out who wants to contribute, the intention is to make it as
easy as possible.

The time is ripe for getting stuck in & helping out. See my next post
to dev@ and user@ about next steps for this.

A+
Dave

Re: organizing docs

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.
@Noah

Re: organizing docs

Posted by "R.J. Steinert" <rj...@rjsteinert.com>.
> We're on the cusp of getting docs into CouchDB proper. We've also talked
about teams.

Exciting! Being a recent CouchDB convert in a world of non-CouchDB folk, I
see first hand how the doc situation is hurting adoption. I just subscribed
to dev@ and I'll be listening for ways I can lend a hand.

--
RJ Steinert
http://rjsteinert.com