Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Jim C." <jc...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/07 02:21:00 UTC

Differences between app servers

Are there archetypes or something else out there that will differentiate
between application servers?  We try to write cross platform Java and it
seems like our app server vendors are fighting us tooth and nail. I
suppose that is the reason for GlassFish but our shop isn't allowed to
use it.

Jim C.

Re: Differences between app servers

Posted by Néstor Boscán <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi jim

The libraries goes on the web-inf/lib directory. I dont think there is
a global library option like oc4j in weblogic, something that im
really missing.

Regards,

Nestor

Posted by Jim Collings <jl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Néstor Boscán <ne...@gmail.com>.
You know, after a lot of fighting on getting a war file to work with
WebLogic 10.3 I finally was a able to make it work. I did have to create the
weblogic.xml on the WEB-INF directory:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE weblogic-web-app PUBLIC "-//BEA Systems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
8.1//EN" "http://www.bea.com/servers/wls810/dtd/weblogic810-web-jar.dtd">
<weblogic-web-app>
  <container-descriptor>
    <prefer-web-inf-classes>true</prefer-web-inf-classes>
  </container-descriptor>
</weblogic-web-app>

But it still is incredibly annoying that I have to send the war file with
all libraries to make it to work.

Regards,

Néstor Boscán

Posted by Brett Randall <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim

If you are not already using them, you might like to take a look at
Maven Profiles. By activating a profile, you can influence the
artifacts and resources which make up a particular build e.g.
targeting a specific appserver.

If you write a lot of web apps for deployment to different appservers,
you might end up writing your own archetype with profiles in place for
this - I'm not aware of any existing.

Brett

On 10/8/09, Jim Collings <jl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not so much.  Take Weblogic for example. You really can't deploy a
> Struts2 based WAR file to it because of library conflicts. It would be
> cool if I could specify somehow, somewhere that this is a Weblogic
> project.  Then it would always build as an ear and would include a
> weblogic-application.xml with the excludes/prefers set so that the
> conflicts don't happen. Also Weblogic insists on APP-INF rather than
> WEB-INF. Perhaps that is related to the fact that it is now an *.ear
> file though, I don't know.
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Brett Randall <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Jim C. <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there archetypes or something else out there that will differentiate
>>> between application servers?  We try to write cross platform Java and it
>>> seems like our app server vendors are fighting us tooth and nail. I
>>> suppose that is the reason for GlassFish but our shop isn't allowed to
>>> use it.
>>>

>>> Jim C.
>>>

>> What types of issue/differences are you facing? Are they compile/deploy or
>> runtime issues?
>>
>> Brett

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Differences between app servers