Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Denis Avdic <de...@betterway.net> on 2003/05/29 21:25:17 UTC

[collections] HashMap with multiple values for one key

Hello,

I know this is probably a really stupid question but i am looking for a
HashMap (or similar)implementation that will store multiple objects
under the same key.  I wrote a superficial implementation myself  based
on the HashMap, but I am interested to know if there is something out
there already implementing this functionality.  I really couldn't
decypher if multimap would do this.

Thanks,

Denis

Re: [collections] HashMap with multiple values for one key

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Rob Leland wrote:
> Denis Avdic wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know this is probably a really stupid question but i am looking for
>> a HashMap (or similar)implementation that will store multiple objects
>> under the same key.  I wrote a superficial implementation myself
>> based on the HashMap, but I am interested to know if there is
>> something out there already implementing this functionality.  I really
>> couldn't decypher if multimap would do this.
>

> Why not just store an object which itself is a container.
>
> Either a class with public member functions, it could be a list, or even
> another Map ?

Possiblies

1. If you want to use an object that implements Map but don't want to
bother to implement all the stubs.

2. Item 30 of Effective Java: Know and Use Libraries

Erik

Re: [collections] HashMap with multiple values for one key

Posted by Denis Avdic <de...@betterway.net>.
Well, I want an option of taking out a key at a time with one function
call. (as in get).  Being able to get the entire collection would be a
bonus.

I'll end up extending MultiHashMap so a get gets me the top of the stack
(or bucket, whatever you want to call it) and a getCol gets me the
entire contents of the key...

Posted by Rob Leland <rl...@apache.org>.