Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adam Fowler <af...@cc.edu> on 2001/03/03 09:51:35 UTC

Upcoming Tomcat book...

Hi all,

I will shortly be writing a book for Sams Publishing in a similar format to
the recently released(and well received) book on Python.

I currently have the task of writing a proposal for content of the book. The
book's target audience is web developers who will be using Tomcat. It will
be based on Tomcat 4.0, but will also be useful for Tomcat 3.x.

I am e-mailing this list to ask for serious suggestions for sections of the
book. From installation through configuration to deploying custom
applications.

Any help would be appreciated and would benefit everyone as this book is
meant to be for you people.

If any Tomcat User Group(TUG) members wish to write user documentation for
Tomcat (The 'paths' that have been discussed) then drop me an e-mail and
maybe we can help each other.

Regards,
Adam.

----
Adam Fowler
Second year Computer Science undergraduate
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Carroll College, WI, USA(2000-2001)
web: http://gucciboy.dyndns.org/aff9
e-mail: adamfowler@chillin.co.uk
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"
----

Re: Upcoming Tomcat book...

Posted by Rob Tanner <rt...@cheshire.onlinemac.com>.
Adam,

It's not really a Tomcat issue, but one of the things that's covered
sometimes poorly and sometimes not at all is thread synchronization.
Unless you're using th SingleThreadModel interface, that's a serious
issue for servlet programming, and unless you're familiar with
threading in Java you can get yourself in all kinds of trouble (writing
servlets was my first exposure to Java and I wasn't at all familiar
with threads, and I suspect there are a lot of others who have gotten
caught off-guard like that).  Though it's not really a Tomcat issue, it
would be a valuable appendix.

The other area that drives me crazy (and I still haven't found any
satisfactory mechanisms) is how to secure credentials the servlet needs
to access database resources.  For instance, if a user's credentials
are stored in a MySQL database, the servlet must access that database,
and to do so, it needs a valid uname and password.  These would not
normally be the uname and password passed in from the request object
(assuming some variety of forms based authentication) since you don't
normally have hundreds or even thousands of users setup with database
privileges.  Rather, the servlet uses it's own credentials to access
the database and retrieve the user's specific credentials stored in an
ordinary table.  The problem is that web.xml is not a secure place to
store the servlet's credentials, especially if you're running Tomcat on
a UNIX machine with many applications and many developers, not all of
whom should have access to the particular servlet's credentials.  I
have asked that same question on several different venues, but the few
answers I've gotten have all been non sequitur, and I think that's
because the question has not been fully understood.  A discussion of
issues like that (especially for folks coming from an apache/cgi world
where good solutions are well-known) would be very valuable.

Beyond that, if you need readers or folks to beta test examples and
procedures, I'd be more that happy to help out.

-- Rob

--On Saturday, March 03, 2001 02:51:35 AM -0600 Adam Fowler
<af...@cc.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I will shortly be writing a book for Sams Publishing in a similar
> format to the recently released(and well received) book on Python.
>
> I currently have the task of writing a proposal for content of the
> book. The book's target audience is web developers who will be using
> Tomcat. It will be based on Tomcat 4.0, but will also be useful for
> Tomcat 3.x.
>
> I am e-mailing this list to ask for serious suggestions for sections
> of the book. From installation through configuration to deploying
> custom applications.
>
> Any help would be appreciated and would benefit everyone as this book
> is meant to be for you people.
>
> If any Tomcat User Group(TUG) members wish to write user
> documentation for Tomcat (The 'paths' that have been discussed) then
> drop me an e-mail and maybe we can help each other.
>
> Regards,
> Adam.
>
> ----
> Adam Fowler
> Second year Computer Science undergraduate
> University of Wales, Aberystwyth
> Carroll College, WI, USA(2000-2001)
> web: http://gucciboy.dyndns.org/aff9
> e-mail: adamfowler@chillin.co.uk
> "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"
> ----

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
      /\_\_\_\_\        /\_\ /\_\_\_\_\_\
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
   /\/_/_/_/_/ /\_\  /\/_/    /\/_/
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com

Re: Upcoming Tomcat book...

Posted by Falcon cheetah <fa...@yahoo.com>.
 That is a very cool thing ;)

I have been looking on the bookshelves for such a book! If you ever need any help let me know. Here is my email.

alawy.ahmed@alawyllc.com

Ahmed Alawy,