Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Tucker <mt...@thoughtbot.com> on 2004/06/09 17:40:53 UTC

tomcat hangs

Hello,

I know I've seen this issue discussed in a lot of places but I've yet to
see a definitive solution. Here's our problem: we are running three
instances of tomcat on our server. Two of them are running live webapps
for two clients and one is for development. One app has been running for
about a month and has been "hanging" (not accepting requests) more and
more frequently (it's happening at least once a day). The second app has
been running for a couple weeks and did not hang at first but has
started to hang once in awhile and it appears to be happening more
frequently. This does not seem to be related to usage as neither app is
getting a lot of traffic when they go down. Here's our setup:

Red Hat Linux 9
Apache 2.0.49
Tomcat 5.0.19
Java 1.4.2

we are using mod_proxy to forward requests from apache to tomcat.

It went down this morning and we did a thread dump as was suggested
elsewhere and couldn't find anything that was suspect. There is nothing
in catalina.out to indicate why this is happening.

Someone here suggested that perhaps it has something to do with writing
to catalina.out. This is legacy code and catalina.out is used for
logging. The previous developers are logging every single SQL statement
to catalina.out. This file is getting very, very large. Could this have
anything to do with it?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as our customers are
getting more and more annoyed. Thanks.

Matt Tucker
thoughtbot

cell: 617 775 0742