Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Satyanarayana Jampa <sj...@innominds.com> on 2016/11/29 11:33:58 UTC

custom metrics - tomcat

Hi,
                I have a custom service in Ambari which contains tomcat server.
                I would like to create  metrics for the tomcat server like number of requests coming in and memory usage.
                Could someone point me to the right doc or steps.

Thanks,
Satya.

Re: custom metrics - tomcat

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
API to POST metrics to AMS:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Metrics+Collector+API+Specification

You can query metadata API to check if metrics are written to the Collector with this API:

http://<metrics-collector-host>:6188/ws/v1/timeline/metrics/metadata

Grafana UI's are driven by metadata API and no additional wiring up is required.

Ambari service dashboards however require more overhead of defining metrics.json and widgets.json for your service. Here are the links for both:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Stack+Defined+Metrics

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Enhanced+Service+Dashboard

BR,

Sid